Chapter 4; Alive

"Erik!" Christine shouted in rage and relief. Christine started to cry of tears of happiness. "Erik, they told me you were dead, shot through the heart."

"I did get shot. I was shot in the bottom part of the leg, but I survived. I heard footsteps behind me, and I thought it was nothing, so I shrugged it off. I then heard them getting closer and I heard someone talk about bullets. Before I knew if I was lying on the ground with a bullet through my leg. One of the men wanted to shoot me through the heat to make sure I was dead, but I put up a fight. I took the gun and fired it at him. I shot him in the arm, and I ran, but I left my mask behind.”

“Erik, why didn’t you tell me you were alive?”

“I didn’t want to upset Raoul.”

“Raoul?” Christine thought, “Why Raoul?” She said aloud this time

“Oh, you didn’t know? He sent the army to kill me.” By now Christine was appalled. She couldn’t believe the poor boy who jumped in the sea to fetch her scarf tried to kill another. “You must be mistaken-.”

“No, I’m not.” He said confidently. He held her hand for the first time for what seemed like years. “Christine.” He repeated her name, “Christine.” He kissed her hand, and ran off into darkness. She noticed Raoul running to her in rage.

“What?! What just happened?!” He shouted at his fiancée

“I’m sorry-.”

“What do you mean you’re in love with someone else?! It was our wedding day, the day when we vow to live with love for the rest of our lives. And you tell me there’s someone else?!”

“Raoul, I’m sorry.”

“Who is it?” He shouted He grabbed her neck and shouted louder. “Who is it?!” She tried to escape from his grasp, but did not succeed.

“Erik.” She mumbled

“Who?” He squeezed her throat tighter.

“Erik.” He squeezed her neck so hard, she couldn’t breathe and you couldn’t understand her. He finally lost his patience and squeezed it as hard as he could, and she fell into his arms. He whipped her hair from her face and whispered into her ear. “I knew you loved Erik. I knew you loved both of us, but I knew you loved him more. That’s why I had him killed.” Suddenly a black shadows came out of darkness, and stuck Raoul.