Have You Heard Of Us? - Chapter 4

Chapter 4- Jake

Math. They still made us do it even though everybody hated it, except Nathan.

I realized I hadn’t been listening to whatever the teacher was going on about so I looked over at Eliza’s work so I could copy. I noticed that she had also done no work, instead just doodled all over her book. This wasn’t like her?

I nudged her arm with my elbow (not too hard) so that she could get back to work. I knew she would never forgive me if I let her waste a whole maths lesson just before our trials. She looked up at me. I pointed to her book showing her what she had been doing for the last half an hour. She started laughing and ripped out the graffitied page.

“What’s wrong?” I asked looking at her. She smiled a bit but then just looked up at the board and started copying down the algebraic formulas that were up on the board.

I looked outside the window not worrying about what we were supposed to be learning, I would just get Nathan to explain it to me later.

“Um, Jake. If I told you something, you have to promise not to tell anyone, okay?” Eliza asked out of nowhere.

“Yeah, sure.” I said turning back to look at her.

“Well, if you knew that someone in the group liked someone else in the group, but then kissed a different someone else, what would you do?” she said looking anxious.

“Okay… What are you talking about?” I said looking really confused.

“Nathan likes Mahima but kissed Alexis and now everything’s going to turn out horrible!” she mumbled looking down.

“Wait! What?” I gasped. Why would Nathan do something like that? I always knew he had a thing for Mahima but if he did, then why would he kiss Alexis? Was he trying to cause trouble?

“Yeah, and I talked to him about it but all he said was that this was his way of ‘dealing with the fact that Mahima didn’t like him back’, and now Alexis is going to get upset because she probably thought that the kiss meant something!” she got a bit louder as she talked.

“Eliza Kilam! Do you have something to share with the class or is this conversation just between you and Jake?”

“Sorry miss, I just didn’t understand the third formula on the board because the x can’t be in front of the y unless- OH!! I get it now! Don’t worry, my brain just isn’t working properly today.” I said as the whole class laughed at how much I sounded like an idiot. All I wanted to do was make sure that Eliza didn’t get into trouble…. she was way to responsible.

Our teacher went back to explaining but kept a close eye on us. Since we couldn’t make a sound, we couldn’t laugh at my lame excuse. But I’m sure at one point I heard Eliza whisper “thanks Jake.”

***

We were now out on the playground and I we were all watching the video of Mahima.

”Aww, that looked so fun. I wish I was there.” Eliza whined.

“Don’t worry, Mahima never stops acting wild.” I assured her.

I heard my phone vibrate in my pocket. I pulled it out and looked at the message that I just got from Mitch.

It said: So.. you and Eliza huh?

I looked at my screen bewildered!

I replied: Dude, I wish.. she would never go for a somebody like me, she’s way out of my league.

As I sent it, I realized that I had made a rhyme. I started laughing to myself and Eliza came to look at my phone.

I quickly locked it but she was still curious.

“What’s so funny?” she asked laughing.

“Oh, it was nothing…”

She looked at me strangely and walked back over to Mahima and kept watching the video.

Phew! That was close! I thought to myself.

I watched Eliza as she kept laughing at the screen. I wish she knew how I felt, but I guess keeping it a secret was better because then I wouldn’t get my heart broken…

Thankyou to everyone who has fanned us, commented, voted and shared this story. Keep it up guys!