chapter 37

dan was sent to the nurse's office, and pj was sent to counseling, neither boy consolable. eventually, dan's parents came to pick him up, and a borderline hysterical pj was allowed to go home. he hopped on his bicycle and rode as fast as he could to dan's house, all swerves and shaking hands.

dan's parents let him in, worry lining their faces but as always welcoming to pj, the boy who befriended their son- a son they thought would forever be alone but never lonely. a blessing, a curse...

pj fearfully watched as dan's parents made a call to the hospital, declining an ambulance. they oddly seemed prepared for such an occurrence, exchanging glances every few minutes.

"pj, i think you should go home," dan's mother told him. "don't keep your parents worrying."

"that's right," dan's father agreed, placing a warm hand on pj's shoulder. pj bit his lip, looking over at dan on the couch. he was sleeping at the moment, but fitfully.

"will he be okay?" he asked.

"he'll be fine," dan's father said firmly. "he'll probably be back to school in a couple of days."

"yes," added his mother. "i know you're worried and we're glad dan has such a dedicated friend, but he really will be fine. you'll see." she squeezed his arm comfortingly.

"alright... i wouldn't want to intrude," pj mumbled against protestations. "i hope he gets better."

he was ushered out of the house as they piled dan into the car. he rode his bicycle, keeping pace with them for a few seconds before they accelerated and sped away. he watched them go, worry gnawing at his chest.