Chapter 4. "Cant sleep. Sorry..."

After we had raided most of the random junk from the mess hall we sat in my tent, and sadly a shared tent with Nikki, shes cool I guess, and we chit chat for a while until we realized it was getting dark and we had to go to bed. Yea like I can get sleep here. Guess I can cry myself to sleep again.

"H-Hey Max... umm I-I don't wanna sound dumb or w-whatever but um.." I opened my arms unable to speak from the embarrassment but Max seemed nice enough to me to at least give me a hug right? I never had gotten a hug before.

Max hesitated but gave me a very quick hug and said goodnight then left. Well that's not what i expected a hug to be like but it was, something.

~~~~~~~~~~~SKIPPSIES~~~~~~~

"ugh... why-cant-I- SLEEP " I began to slam the pillow into my face. Nikki had crawled out of the tent about an hour ago so shes probably asleep. Everyone else is probably asleep. I can still cry myself to sleep. Think sad. Think depressed. 

Eventually I felt warm tears streaming down my face and I buried my head into my pillow to muffle my crying. Knowing Max and Neil's tent is right next to mine and Nikki is still outside I can't be to loud.

Max's POV:

That hug that I gave Y/N... I don't know why but I wish I hadn't made it so short. It was nice, and felt calming in a way. Shut up Max since when have you ever thought of hugs this way? 

As I was attempting to fall asleep with 0 luck I heard someone leave the tent next to me so i'm guessing Nikki left to sleep outside. nothing new. I just wanna get at least an hour of sleep but by this point i'm not going to get any.

I sat up and looked at Mr.Honey Nut. " When am I ever going to leave this hell hole. I could just try and find any road and follow it to civilization. " I talked to my stuffed bear about escape plans I would never do or accomplish. He's my only true friend at this camp. The only one that keeps me sane.

I turned over on my back holding Mr.Honey Nuts up in the air and looked over at Y/N's tent to see a light on. Maybe she isn't asleep yet. I could talk to her for a while. Beats being bored to fuck over here talking to a stuffed bear, though it's nice sometimes you really need to talk to a real person from time to time.

Y/N's POV:

As I tried to cry myself asleep for what seemed like ages I heard Max mumbling to someone and some shuffling shortly after before his tent flap was opened and flipped closed. "Shit."

I flipped to my side facing the tent wall as fast as I could keeping in any tears I had left. Who the fuck decided to wake up while I was trying to cry to sleep? Never mind this is probably good that sounds pretty fucking sad actually.

My tent flap opened up and I heard quiet footsteps walk towards my bed and someone sat down behind my back. Suddenly I felt someones arms wrap around me slowly seeming to hug me. It felt nice. I turned over and looked to see Max hunched over hugging me around my waist while laying down. That seems pretty painful but right as I turned over and he saw my E/C eyes he quickly sat up starting to flush red. 

"O-Oh you're awake. umm.. hi." He turned away to stare at the floor quickly scratching the back of his neck. 

"Y-yeah... Soo. what are you doing? " I felt my face start to get hot as he looked around the tent space. 

" Well I couldn't sleep and I saw a light on in your tent so I just thought m-maybe we could talk for a little but then I did hear muffled crying before and realized it was you so I-I thought-"

"Max. Shh. you're getting louder every word you say. Calm down." At this point he was as red as a cherry and I couldn't help but giggle quietly at him. I quickly wrapped my arm around him and hugged him tightly burying my face into his hoodie. It smelled of sweat and trees. Its a nice smell I guess. The tree smell cancels out the sweat smell. I felt arms wrap around my back as I was pulled down into the bed and felt the blanket pulled over myself and Max. 

It felt nice here. I felt relaxed, calm... Safe. Usually I go to bed crying feeling scared and depressed. This is the first time in years I have ever gone to sleep without needing to cry and feel scared. I felt like I belonged here. I felt like I had a purpose and suddenly the piercing pain in my heart came back as I drifted to sleep.

* This chapter has over 800 words! I don't what else to say here so I guess just stayed tuned for the next chapter sorry if this one seemed to drag on a bit and I thank you for reading!*