III

Zack rubs Tyler's back as he spits into the bucket. Tears stream down his pale cheeks as the IV continued to feed him medicine.

Chemo was kicking his ass.

He knew it was to help, but he didn't like the side effects.

He sniffles as he leans back in the chair with a sigh. He hated this.

"Are we almost done?" Tyler whispers.

"About another hour," Zack replies taking his brother's small hand in his.

"Hey."

The two brothers look up at the new voice in the room.

"Oh, hey," Zack smiles.

"Hi, Josh," Tyler says quietly.

Sitting down in the chair next to Zack, he smiles softly at Tyler, "How are you, hun?"

Tyler shrugs, "I've been better."

Josh gives him a sympathetic smile.

"How are you?"

"I'm fine," Josh answers. "I brought you something. I'm not sure if you can have it right now, but I brought it just in case."

Lifting up a white grocery bag, he hands it to the small boy.

Tyler smiles and lets go of Zack's hand and opens the bag. He smiles wider and pulls out his gift.

Zack grins at the slice of pumpkin pie. Tyler's favorite.

"Thank you, Josh," Tyler grins.

"No problem."

"Hey, Ty? Will you be okay here with Josh for a few minutes? I have to use the bathroom."

Tyler nods.

Zack kisses his head softly before standing up and walking to the bathroom in the hall around corner.

Josh smiles at the boy.

"What are you doing here?" Tyler asks softly.

"Zack wanted me to come up if I wasn't doing anything. I didn't feel like staying home, so here I am."

"Oh."

"Do you want me to leave?"

"No, I was just confused s'all."

Josh chuckles softly.

"Josh?"

"Mhm?"

"Can I hold your hand? It just makes me feel better."

"Yeah, of course."

Tyler rests his hand in Josh's when he brings his hand up to the arm of the chair.

Tyler smiles, "Thank-"

The smile drops from his face as soon as it had come. Immediately Josh pushes the bucket closer to Tyler just as he begins to vomit.

Zack walks into the room in time to see it happen. He sighs sadly and walks over to the two. He rubs Tyler's back as more tears stream down the smaller's cheeks.

🔆♥️🔆