IV

Tyler sits on the couch, bored. There was nothing to do. He wanted to play basketball, but he was too tired.

The stars were shining brightly and Tyler could see the Big Dipper from where he was sitting. He loved the stars. He loved anything having to do with the sky and space in general. He knew all 88 constellations by heart.

The TV is playing Fight Club. Josh is over and he suggested it, and since Zack said he had never seen it, Josh forced him to put it on.

Tyler wasn't a huge fan, but he enjoyed watching Josh get excited at certain parts of it.

An obnoxious sound rings throughout the living room and Zack leans over to pick up his phone.

"Hello?"

Josh turns the volume down on the movie.

"Oh, uh, yeah. Yeah, sure. I-I'll be right there."

Zack ends the call and sets his phone down before turning his head to look at the other two boys, "That was my manager. I gotta go into work for a bit."

"Oh," Tyler mumbles. "Okay."

"I'll be back as soon as possible, okay? Josh would you mind staying here with him?"

"Yeah, no problem," Josh smiles.

"Thank you," the older Joseph says standing up and kissing his brother's forehead before making his way upstairs to retrieve his shoes.

He returns a couple moments later, shoes on his feet, and a sweatshirt covering his torso. It was starting to get colder outside, even though it was the middle of September. Tyler loved it, cause it meant that his birthday was getting closer.

As the older boy left the house, Josh and Tyler sit silently watching the movie. Eventually, Josh speaks up.

"Hey, Ty? Do you wanna do something? I haven't ever really spent time with you. What do you like to do?"

Tyler bites his bottom lip in thought, keeping his eyes on the television.

"I don't know," he mumbles after a minute.

"Zack told me you play ukulele. He says you sing too, and that you're really good. Do you mind if I hear?"

"Um...sure. Do you mind getting my ukulele? It's upstairs."

"Yeah, where at?"

"You'll see it as soon as you walk into my room," Tyler explains carefully sitting up straighter from his slouching position.

The elder stands up and walks upstairs. He smiles when he sees the ukulele and grabs it gently before walking back downstairs.

Tyler mutters a thank you as he takes it from Josh's grip.

Strumming a few times, he looks at the elder, "Any requests?"

Josh shakes his head, "Anything you want."

Tyler thinks for a moment before strumming again and starting a song.

(Play the song, it's Truce by Twenty One Pilots)

"Now, the night, is coming to an end..."

Josh smiles softly.

"The sun will rise, and we will try again... stay alive, stay alive, for me. You will die but now your life is free, take pride in what is sure... to...die..."

Josh bites his lip carefully. Tyler's voice is beautiful. He could listen to it all day.

"I will fear the night again..."
"I hope I'm not my only friend...stay alive, stay alive for me...you will die, but now your life is free take pride in what is sure... to... die..."

Josh grins and claps as the song ends and lets out a breath, a smile taking over his lips.

"That was amazing, Tyler."

"Thank you," Tyler giggles. He shuts his eyes and lays back against the couch.

"Are you okay?" Josh asks softly.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Tyler replies, his eyes still shut. "Singing just takes the breath out of me."

"I'm sorry. I didn't know. Well, I didn't think about it anyway."

"No, it's okay. If I didn't want to do it, I wouldn't have."

"Can I do something to help?"

Tyler shakes his head, "No, I just have to...take a minute."

After a moment, Tyler's breathing was even again.

"You're an amazing singer," Josh says.

"Thank you."

The two boys stare at each other shyly, smiles staying in place on their faces.

Before they know it, Zack is walking back into the room, "Hey, guys."

They snap out of their trance and look at the older Joseph.

"Hey," Josh says quickly.

"Hi," Tyler whispers.

"What's up? The movie's over."

Josh and Tyler look at the TV to see the play menu of the movie.

"Oh. Yeah. Tyler was playing a song for me."

"What song?"

"Truce," Tyler replies picking at a loose thread in his pajama shorts.

"I love that song," Zack states.

"Me too," Josh says looking at Tyler again.

Tyler smiles shyly, a pink hue rising to his cheeks.

🔆♥️🔆