14. Peyton - 6: The Party

The music was loud and men were annoying. College parties sucked. I would never understand their appeal. People were drunk and were falling over one another. Some were attached by the mouths and others were working up to courage to attach mouths with someone else. It was disgusting.

And here was my client, of course. He sat on the couch with a beer present in his hand. His eyes kept roaming around the room. A girl here and there would catch his eye and he would smirk in her direction unbeknownst to her.

I stood by in the same room in the back corner. I was completely sober though began wishing that I wasn’t. A group of guys passed by and blew a cloud of cigarette smoke in my direction. I coughed and wheezed until they disappeared. What a disgusting habit…

A blonde young girl stumbled into the room. She began laughing hysterically as her friends joined her and the proceeded to assemble in a corner.

My client’s eyes were glued to that blonde girl. I smirked at him. Bingo! This was almost too easy… but there was one small problem.

There was a little brunette girl attached to my client. She hadn’t let him go throughout the whole night. I believed that I even spotted her going to the bathroom with him. She seemed a bit clingy for my taste. I needed to talk to my client but she was giving me a bit of trouble in getting him alone. I really didn’t want to tell him that he should go after the blonde drunk girl with his current girlfriend attached to his hip.

Still, this atmosphere was not my favorite. Guys had been giving me odd looks all night long but now that the alcohol was settling in, I was afraid they might act on those looks. I really didn’t want to be hit on tonight especially by the men here.

I also finally had my client and his designated soul mate in the same room for once. I needed to act now before she began laughing again and stumbled out of the room to get more beer or something.

Suddenly a hand slipped around my waist and some guy whispered into my ear, “Hey, pretty lady”.

I slapped his hand and he took it back. Quickly, I moved away from the college kid. He shrugged and walked off unaffected by my obvious rejection. There was no way I could stay in this place for long. So it was decided, if his girlfriend wouldn’t move, then she would just be along for the ride.

I snuck up to the couch that the two were lounging on. I leaned over the arm and smiled toward my client. His girlfriend gave me the dirtiest look she could muster up for even daring to come close to her boyfriend. Her boyfriend, on the other hand, gave me a sly smile and a slurred greeting.

He wasn’t unattractive but he wasn’t a god or anything either. He had sandy blonde hair and brown eyes and seemed like he visited the gym regularly. He didn’t seem like a great catch. I wondered why this girl had such an attachment to it. She was quite pretty, I thought. She had long wavy brunette hair and a sweet heart shape face –even with the glare on it. She could’ve easily had someone better than who she was with.

“Hello,” I greeted after a moment. His girlfriend’s expression darkened the longer I stayed by them. She squeezed her boyfriend to give him a clear warning that this was not okay.

“Um,” he began unsure. “Can we help you?”

“I just noticed you from over there,” I said pointing to where I had been standing. “You were staring at that blonde over there ever since she walked in.”

His girlfriend huffed as she glanced over at the blonde in question. “Sarah? You were gawking at Sarah?!”

“No,” the guy assured as he too looked over at the blonde. There was a look of longing on his face.