Chapter Eighteen

|Piper|

"So, you and Billy?" Mom leaned against the doorway of my bedroom with her arms crossed over her chest.

I blew out an exasperated sigh before closing the textbook and slouching, turning my head to her with a roll of my eyes. "You're ruffling my feathers, Mother. I'm sort of working on last minute homework."

She sucked her teeth making a 'tsk' sound. "It's not my intention to ruffle your feathers, sweetheart."

"Then why do you ask?" She didn't really ask about him Saturday and Sunday when she caught us. It's a bit weird that her curiosity barely struck Monday morning.

"I ask because he's out there waiting for you." Mom pretended to look down at her nails and sneakily glance at me to get a reaction. Which she obviously did.

I scrunched my forehead in confusion and slight bewilderment and jumped up from the bed. "What?" Rushing over to the window. He stood outside of his driveway leaning against his Camaro looking all cool.

"You see, after the surprising sight of the two of you Saturday morning I can't help but thing, maybe it's a fling...but this, him waiting outside for you to take you to school...now, that's more than just a fling. He's your boyfriend!" Mom went on with her conclusions.

I bit onto my bottom lip fighting a smile, but the fact that Mom acknowledged him as my boyfriend made me giddy inside and I broke into a wide grin. Of course, I didn't let her see that. Instead I shushed her and gathered my things hoping that my heated face wouldn't give it away. The book bag slung over my shoulder as I pushed passed Mom. She had a teasing grimace repeating 'You have a boyfriend!' acting like a teenager. I ran quickly down the stairs in attempt to get away from her and childish taunts.

Billy didn't expect the front door to sling open so excitedly. I wanted to seem relaxed and casual although I was a bit curious as to what he was up to telling my mom that he was waiting for me. Especially to take me to school. He's very unforthcoming when it comes to people seeing us together like an item. We know how it all goes down. I'm not sure if I want to go through that again but seeing him waiting for me made me weak to even think and stick to my morals.

"Going somewhere?" He called out detaching himself from his car.

"Uh, yeah, actually I'm headed for school. You?" I played along.

"Lucky for you, I'm headed that way, too. Need a ride?" He gave me a lopsided grin.

"Already got one." I motioned to my bike.

He shook his head. "An actual ride? That beat bike won't get you there quick."

"At least it gets the job done." I dismissed, "Plus, I don't think it's a good idea to arrive at school with you."

"And why not?"

I scoffed, "I thought you didn't want that type of attention. You know, people talking about you being seen with the 'deaf girl' even though they have no idea—"

He interrupted. "That you have moderate hearing loss...yes, but I don't care anymore. C'mon, let me give you a ride."

I pretended to give it some thought when in all honesty I already had decided yes. It was amusing to see him this way. All riled up.

"Are you sure about this?" I questioned.

He nodded and took a hold of my hand guiding me to his Camaro. Max walked out of their house holding onto her skateboard in disdain. Billy told her something and she rolled her eyes getting in the car. Out of anyone's sight, he gave me a quick peck on the lips before parting to the driver's side. Here goes nothing.