Chapter Nineteen

|Piper|

"Where are you going? Get back in bed." Billy touched my shoulder as I prepared to slip on my shoes.

In the dark I tried to decipher his face and sighed slowly. "I just need to go for a run."

I felt him shift and glance to the digital clock on the nightstand. "Piper, it's six in the morning. We're about to wake up for school in an hour."

"I know. I just have to do this. It won't take long." I patted his knee. "Make sure to avoid my parents."

Quickly pecking him on the lips reassuringly before taking my leave.

        This thing with Steve had my mind in a whirl of confusion and hurt. It's true when they say that losing a best friend hurts more than losing a boyfriend. I couldn't just tell Billy what was getting me so upset anymore. Things between them aren't exactly cool and dandy. And so I ran a few more blocks down until I reached Mirkwood to deal with my entangled mind and vent my feelings away. Cheap therapy.

♡ ♡ ♡

"Look, I know that math isn't your strong suit, but you gotta try." Nancy encouraged.

I was about to drop my head on the desk. "Some people aren't gifted with a bright mind without trying." I remarked. "Plus, how do they expect me to solve these math problems when I can't solve my own?" I shook my head lightly, "Sorry. I'm sort of cramped. I ran this morning and my legs are in pain."

"Is the pain traveling to your brain?"

I scoffed with a chuckle. "Mentally, yes."

"You're so melodramatic." She chimes in. "Perhaps Steve has anything to do with your mental instability?"

"Mhm." I nodded.

"He's still not talking to you? Give it time. He cares about you and he'll come around soon." She advices sympathetically. "You being with Billy isn't something Steve wanted for you and quite frankly...I'm a little worried, too. So, I can understand where he's coming from—"

"There's nothing to worry about, Nancy. We're good." I didn't intend for my tone to come out harsh. I lowered my chin down murmuring an apology. "Can we not talk of this anymore? It really uses up my energy."

"Sure. But first let's start working on this assignment or else we'll get a bad grade."

"Good grades are for losers." I smirked teasingly.

♡ ♡ ♡

|Billy|

Piper left this morning for a run and something told me she wasn't being herself. When we arrived to school she completely ignored Steve or at least she tried. I know this has been hard on her. Steve not agreeing to our relationship and honestly, for what I see it seems that he's crushing on my girl. When I arrived as the new guy to Hawkins High I didn't really have a reason to dislike the prick, but this vibe of him liking Piper gives me a whole lot of reason to hate him. As if summoned by my thoughts, Harrington entered the gymnasium in disdain.

Time to beat him at the game. "Harrington." He turned his head in acknowledgment. "You know what I don't like?" I doubted casually.

He shook his head. "What's that?"

"I don't like to see Piper hurt and disappointed."