Chapter 1- Sore Heart

Dear Trevis

Created By: V.I.N.T.A.G.E Days

Chapter 1- Sore Heart

****

"Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody."--Stephen Chbosky

****

It was slightly drizzly outside. And all of a sudden the dejection that'd lingered inside me for the past few hours came back to haunt me. The cold weather reminded me of warm hugs and brewed latte and whenever I get to these thoughts, it was obvious that I'd think of him. My ex.

I gazed hesitatingly at my phone, uncertain whether to give him a call. Deep down inside,something told me that I still needed that sort of physical protection from him. Call him. Call him not. At last, I gave up and ended up shoving my phone into my pocket. Holding back heavy tears, I got on a taxi.

Chic's Avenue was buzzing. I took a quick glimpse at my watch. 8:30pm. I strolled towards the entrance and spotted Candice Norman waving at me. She looked charming in her red scalloped a-line dress and had a Padini shopping bag in her hand.

"Hey hon, where's Ginnie?"

I asked.

Candice pointed towards the chocolate booth and I saw Ginnie dangling her monkey-mouth wide open while she stood staring at an M&M's chocolate mousse. Yea. That's what I always call it. Monkey mouth. And if you ask me why, I'd probably tell you it's all in account of her upper and lower jaws that juts out noticeably when she smiles. And it'd still be visible even if she had her mouth closed, and that somehow reminded me of a monkey's mouth. You know, I'm not trying to assault her parents' genes or anything. It's just that I like teasing her for fun. When her parents aren't with her of course.

I went behind Ginnie and called her name for like, three or four times and she still wouldn't budge.

"Come on, Ginnie. I promise I'll buy you a slice of it as soon as I get my pocket money this week."

It took almost the strength of four Hercules to move Ginnie out of there. Gradually, she came back to normal and remembered why she'd call me here in the first place.

"You'll definitely throw a huge tantrum if I tell you this, Hailey..."

Ginnie paused.

"Our band's performance has been cancelled and banned for the next two months due to our lousy attitudes towards the authorities during our last performance in summer last year. And as a detention, we're all assigned to clean every toilet after school for an entire week."

I was going to have a complete meltdown right there in front of Ginnie and Candice. Like, what was the point of banning our band like that when we didn't even do anything wrong? Anger struck me. I wanted to dig the brains out of the organizers just to see what they were made of.

Ginnie stayed silent and Candice cooled me down.

" Well, you know, we were charged for changing our band's name without prior notice and that made the organizers mad..."

It felt like I got punched in the stomach. How dare they treat us like that even if it was our fault in the first place...it didn't make sense. It wasn't fair to give such heavy punishments to tiny mistakes like this.

Ginnie's phone rang and she told us that her mom was here to drive her home. She gave me a huge hug and told me it was OK.

I watched as Ginnie left for the entrance. It was just down to me and Candice now. She reached for my hand.

"I know how you feel, Hailey. Forget about it. We can still have our performance in May."

I flashed her a look and stayed silent for a while. And that's when I lost it.

"No one knows my feelings! First I got dumped and now I'm getting vexed over band stuff, there's no point comforting me!"

Candice stared wide-eyed at me and gasped. She must have been taken back by my sudden anger.

 She must have been taken back by my sudden anger

"You mean...you got dumped by him? You never told me that...Are you good?"

She looked concerned.

"Do I look good?!... No one cares about me anymore. Nor does he. All he cares for is work, work and work."

And with that, my tears broke free and I wiped them away with the back of my hand. I could feel my heart bleeding severely. I hate him. I hate Trevis. But the person I hated even more was myself. For being weak. And being so reliant on him.

Candice gave me a tight hug. I could tell that she felt upset for me too.

"Poor thing. You'll be alright."

She hugged me tighter. But it never got any better.