Prologue

Dear Trevis

Created By: V.I.N.T.A.G.E Days

Prologue

****

When man and woman meet, they simply fall in love. Love blinds them in a few months' time

                                                                                                  --UNKNOWN

****

I buried my face deep into the pillow and groaned in despair. My head spun twice the speed of a carousel and that made me groan even louder. Eventually, I sat up. The pillow felt damp from my sweat and tears. My room was pitch black except from the light that came through from under the door.

" For goodness sake, Hailey!I've been calling you for hours!Mind you, just come out from your burrow and come have dinner already!"

Continuous loud bangs on the door filled my eardrums. The person behind it must have intended to crash the entire door down as she was banging her fist on the wood so violently. How I wished that door was made of iron...The next moment, there was silence. I let out a sigh and forced myself out of bed. My hair stuck shamelessly to my face but I didn't even bother to remove it. Dad's car pulled onto the driveway just then. I could see him via my room window.

I crept downstairs. The TV was on and booming on high volume as usual. The aroma of chicken entered my nostrils, with just a hint of cinnamon. I wandered into the kitchen where my ten-year-old sister, Bonnie, sat impatiently at the dinner table right beside mom. She gave me this sour face as if she'd pull my hair out if I don't get to the dinner table right this second.

I hate it. I hate it when Bonnie bosses me around the house like I'm the one whose the little sister. But she's quite nice though, you know, on other occasions. I parked my butt right next to her at the table meanwhile dad joined us. Thursday night's supper. I glanced at the kitchen counter. A catastrophe. Tiny pools of honey remained on the counter and eggshells scattered on the floor. I even got a sniff of burnt ketchup. Apparently, supper tonight has been a BIG CREATION. I started digging in, in search of my appetite. But somehow, the chicken tasted like plastic inside my mouth.

"I wonder what's gone into you, Hailey? You look like a corpse that's just emerged from below the soil..."

Mom must have sensed the bitterness inside me.

"Nothing. Just my menstruation ruining my day."

I lied. Even though my heart felt like it was getting torn into pieces right at the spot, I still managed to plaster on a fake smile.

"Is everything OK? Maybe I should take you to the gynecology's for a quick check-up. I'm sure they'll help."

Bonnie eyed mom. Not a very good topic to discuss in front of dad. I looked up at dad. He was busy attacking his honey chicken wing-dings. Like, what was there to conceal from him? I mean, didn't he acknowledge the presence of menstrual cycle in every woman? It happens naturally. Just like breathing. I glanced back at Bonnie and yielded. Sometimes, I just don't get this kid. You know, not all men are perverts. Even though what I told mom just now was a lie. Just to motor through her endless questions.

Deep down inside me, I was hoping vaguely that my BFF, Candice was next to me so I could spill all my miseries to her. Unlike at home, I wouldn't need my family to stick their noses into my problems. Especially love affairs. Even if i did tell them, they would just nag on and on. And seriously, I can live in peace without my parents' tedious lecture.

My phone rang and I answered. It was Ginnie, another one of our band club's friend.

" What's up Hailey? I rang you seven times plus two voicemails and a text and all I got from you was zero response for the past two hours!"

Ginnie was whining. She must have been desperate.

" Look, Ginnie. I apologize for that. Right now I'm feeling quite down and by the way, my phone was on silent when you called."

I explained with my mouth full.

"It's cool. Um... can we talk? I've got some news for you about our band's live performance this week and right now I'm hanging out at Chic's Avenue with Candice. Wanna come?"

Ginnie's voice lowered an octave when she mention about the band.

"Sure."

I replied casually. I put down my fork and stood up.

"I'm full."

Mum shot me a look and wanted to know where I was going.

"Meeting up with my girlfriends."

Before she could go on further, I'd grabbed my Adidas backpack and made a quick dash for the door.

"Be right back!"