Dinner

Soon after Edward showed at our door the three of us had dinner.

I never knew a more awkward situation could exist. Two envious brothers butting heads, and one girl to be torn between them both.

Of course, I am resisting Edward. The easier choice is to keep things the way they are...but then again, what would Edward offer? What does a life with Vince offer? Being cooped up in their mansion forever because he hasn't done anything else for years upon years? I don't think so, but he's grown accustomed to this life, hasn't he? He's been allowed to leave ever since he reached me from the highway, but he still rarely leaves.

While Vince stares gloomily at his brother, Edward ignores him completely and blissfully. It's clear which brother is envious of the other, which has confidence and which does not. Though, you can't blame Vince. His own brother stole his bride from him already once before. That had to have wounded his pride permanently.

"So, tell me...Cynthia. Do you remember anything of your previous life? At all? Whatsoever? Has anything been jogged since you came here?" Edward says nonchalantly.

He really doesn't beat around the bush does he?

"Nothing." I answer simply, staring down at my food. Regular old spaghetti. It's clear Vince didn't care at all about what to serve his brother...though, I've tasted it, and for spaghetti, it is damn good.

"And have you and Vince advanced your relationship physically quite yet?" Edward smirks.

He really doesn't mess around.

I stutter instead of answering, blushing bright red.

"Hmm, should have figured I'd be too late to stop that. My brother is charming and ever so nearly as handsome as me...though if I came sooner, I think I may have been able to stop his advances." Edward chuckles with a wink, ignoring Vince's immediate glare. "I understand he's a good fling, so don't sweat it. I still want you as mine irregardless, Cynthia." He winks. "I know you'll come around. You always do."

I wrinkle my brow as if I just tasted something sour. I always do? How often did Edward and Isabella get into kahoots with each other?

"Sure, I have once before, but that doesn't mean I will make the same choice again." I whisper.

Vince tenses up, and sets down his fork. I nearly expect him to step in and shut Edwards mouth but he surprisingly doesn't.

"You will again and again, like always." Edward smiles.

"You keep saying that..." I say with displeasure. "Is that supposed to mean something?"

"Exactly what I said. That's what it means." Edward smiles wider than before, sending glances to his brother.  "You going to tell her or should I?"

Vince mumbles unhappily under his breath.

"I would think she would deserve to know that this isn't the first time she's come back, don't you?" Edward jumps right in before Vince can properly answer.

"What?" I stand from my chair. "You're telling me we've messed this up before? How many times???"

Edward smiles knowingly. "Sorry, dear. It must come as such a surprise to you. Especially considering that you have a boy toy that doesn't tell you shit about anything."

I only roll my eyes.

"Okay, okay. Point taken. Six times." Edward holds up his hands in surrender. "Not an insane amount of times, but still too many."

I gawk at the two of them. "And what is the result all of these failed six times?"

I meet Edward's eyes automatically but he gestured to Vince. "Better he speaks."

Vince closes his eyes and shakes his head in exhaustion. "Let's not get into this Edward." He slowly opens his eyes threateningly towards his brother. "Or else you would force me to tell her more details that don't put you in the best position either." 

"Oh, really? What details would those be?" Edward leans forward tauntingly. 

It is as if I'm not even here. 

"You know exactly what I'm talking about. You'd have to. Otherwise, you're a bigger, clueless asshole than I thought." Vince grits his teeth. 

Edward chuckles at Vince's threats and goes back to his meal. "Go ahead. It won't change the result. It never does." 

"She's smarter than all the rest," Vince says genuinely. 

I wrinkle my brow and continue to stay silent. The less I say the better at this point...

"Nonsense. She's nearly always the same." Edward smiles, sending me a wink. "Which is a wonderful thing. The only difference is you just get prettier and prettier." 

I hold back any facial response and turn back to Vince. I want to hear what he has to say. 

"Every time. You choose wrong." Vince says, not facing. "Every time, you repeat history over and over and run off with Edward, and every time it leads to your death." He turns to me slowly, dread evident on his face.  "You choose Edward, every time, Cynthia...and you die because of  it. I didn't mention this of course, to lead you astray in your decision or your choice of fleeing." 

I swallow my food slowly, not looking at either of them. This could mean a lot of things, but my mind immediately goes to not trusting Edward. Why would I keep choosing the same man? That has to have some kind of correlation with my impending demise, doesn't it? I must choose Vince, shouldn't I? To avoid the same result? 

"That is purely because you always interfere. You never just let her go, Vincent." Edward shakes his head. "If you just let her go this time we won't have to suffer the consequences any longer."

A long, silent pause follows.

"Just let her go this time, brother." Edward pleads quietly.

I can't speak. I don't even know what to say.

"No." Vince replies darkly. "I would never let her fall into your hands willingly. You don't care for her like I do and you fail to protect her as history has so clearly proven."

I shake my head. "So, you're telling me that you are my only choice if I do not want to end up dead?"

Vince hesitates, frowning with regret at his exact wording. "I would not put it that way, no."

"Well, it sure does sound like a threat to me. I like to think that I have a choice." I reply sternly with clenched teeth. "You have to accept whatever I choose."

Vince grimaces. "I know what is best for you, Cynthia. You have to trust me..." He trails off.

Edward chuckles. "Oh, Vince. I applaud your dramatics. It is not life or death, don't worry." He says towards me. "He won't do you wrong this time. I can tell he feels guilty."

I inhale and exhale while the two of them stare each other down once again. "I think I will get some rest. I'm tired...and hungry."

Vince nods silently, and I know he understands the feeling. His hunger is evident too. Our meal didn't come today...we got Edward instead, which means we won't receive another girl again.

Edward doesn't acknowledge me so I leave, quickly climbing the stairs as gracefully as I can without running.

When I close the door I can't help but lean against it for a few glorious moments of silence.

Until a knock.

"Who is it?"

I don't know if I wish for it to be Vince or Edward.

"It's me."

Slowly I creak open the door and Vince slips in. "Cynthia." He murmurs. To my surprise, he pulls me into a gentle hug. "Please. You've got to listen to me."

My eyes widen and I wait for him to continue with my ear pressed against his empty chest.

"Edward is not telling you the entire truth."