Chapter 4

I had reduced my existence on that ship to visiting my brother, eating and resting in the navigation room until we reached Tortuga. I had specifically avoided the Captain, as being in his presence made me very uneasy. Ever since our dinner turned into a weird fight, I wanted nothing to do with the man. His words had shaken my core, and the realisation that he might be right about loyalty shook my heart and my values.

The ship was gliding under the stars, as Tortuga appeared in view. A small island in the West Indies, famous for its danger, a piracy hideout not even the British Navy could dismantle. I honestly expected this place and all pirates to die out in the next decade – they could not run forever, and the Navy resources were getting bigger and stronger; one day, there would be no more pirate ships in the blue waters.

"Miss, you'll have to change" Mr. Dorsey's voice came from behind, jolly as usual.

"Change?" I frowned.

"Yes, well, we can't have you around the island dressed in fine silk and jewellery, can we?" He chuckled, jerking a thumb to the Captain's cabin "C'mon, now! Got something for you."

The Captain was safely looking out into the island from the quarterdeck, so it was definitely safe to get into his room. I changed into some huge pants and a shirt did my hair in a knot and hid it under a big hat. A belt helped to keep the pants in place, and a long coat with big shoulders covered my female form.

"You look quite the pirate!" Sylas grinned, as he joined me when we decked. "The coat is too big, but I thought it would have to do."

"Yours?" I asked, as we jumped to port and the blast of music and laughter and fighting came assaulted my ears.

"The whole ensemble, madam!" He bowed and took his hat off, making me roll my eyes.

"I guess I owe you a thank you." I crocked a brow under the hat "Why is my brother not accompanying us?"

"Ah. Well, Miss, the lad is quite famous around here." Mr. Dorsey chuckled, as he joined both Sylas and me "We must keep him under wraps. You, however, are safer in our company."

"The jewel of the sea..." I muttered, looking at the Captain's nape as he walked a few feet ahead of us.

"What?" Mr. Dorsey tossed, as we reached near the buildings.

"So, are we staying on the island, then?" I tossed "For our long?"

"A few nights, s'all." Sylas shrugged "Don't look so grim! Do you not miss a bed?"

"I miss my bed" I rolled my eyes, as we followed the men into a loud and tall tavern.

Inside, the music was jolly, the men were drunk, and the woman pretty much naked. I couldn't believe my eyes! The taverns back in Jamaica were definitely not like this! There were people punching each other, for God's sake! A woman with large breasts bumped into me and she had the audacity to shake her assets in my face!

A hand dragged up the stairs me through the drunk crowd and the music. He was a brute, a little monster that I despised and who despised me back. I was an asset, plain and simple; he was going to protect the asset and do everything in his power to come out winning from the whole situation.

As we went across the top floor balcony, looking downstairs I could almost pretend the mess of bodies was a ball, a big elegant ball where people waltzed and made business. Where girls would try and catch a man's eye, and where fathers, like mine, would try and get them a husband. I vaguely wondered how it would be like to meet Captain Grey in a ball like that – what if he were a Lord? A tall, lean and well-built man with dark hair and blue eyes. No criminal past, no tattoos or rough clothing; women would swoon at his feet, no doubt.