The Unexpected Project

I finally decided to put my mind back to the damn meeting to hear Mr. Boucher say "U 'll all have to report in New York within two weeks from now and Ms. Beaumont will be your lead."

Oh.

I look out for Ms. Beaumont in the hopes of finally giving my back some rest,but I couldn't recognize any. Looking back at Mr. Boucher, I noticed he was looking at me with his hair-less eyebrows raised, so raised that they might actually disappear into his forehead.

"Ms. Beaumont we are waiting for you " he said looking straight into my eyes.

Wait!!! What ? MEEEEE?

I was staring at Mr. Boucher like he has lost his mind and soon realized that the entire conference hall was staring right at me, probably expecting me to address them as their leader or whatever. But the thing was I had absolutely no fucking idea about what Mr. Boucher had been ranting about in his meeting in the last 90 minutes. Its not like I m not a good employee but not being physically attractive has its own demerits. Standing at 5'1 height with a belly I m usually not the person my boss likes to send to represent his company and though he often exploits my intelligence, it usually remains within the four walls of his office. My work keeps travelling the world round but my face remains hidden. So excuse me for my nonchalance.

I stand up unsure of what to do and finally I ask "Can you repeat Mr. Boucher? Did you just say that I am leading a team to New York?"

"Were you not following me in the meeting Ms. Beaumont?"

"Knowing how you usually do not like to put my face to my name, I m surprised you would ever say that Mr. Boucher. So excuse me if I am not able to grasp what you just announced in here." I snapped immediately, giving him my best vicious glare that he was so habituated of giving me.

Checkmate!! Huh!

He looked back at me with an equal glare before straightening up , diverting his eyes away from me and looking through the hall to find the amusing look that everyone was giving him. As much as he would have liked to keep his dirty secrets inside his chamber, it actually was an open secret. How he had absolutely no voice in front of his seniors, how he used to take sexual favors from women in exchange for promotion or how he had a fetish for younger women was known to all. And his infamous, perverted, bastard of a son was well known for almost all the same things along with some cases of sexual harassment against him, due to which he happens to be behind the bars presently.

"Well, its just me who knows how incapable you are Ms. Beaumont. The decision of sending you as the lead was from the Board of Directors. This project happens to be the biggest project for this company. This would be the first project where we are dealing with the Great United States. We have always worked within our homeland or maybe with our neighbouring countries and a few Oriental countries on some occasions with the partnership of some fellow companies as you know. But this will be the first time when our company would be dealing on an international level with the West and that too alone. Hence they didn't want to risk anything and who else could be better than the one who was herself behind the idea."

"Oh. I see. I would have appreciated if you would have come clean the first time itself Mr. Boucher. But anyways, I appreciate your rare honesty. I am absolutely thankful to the Board of Directors for choosing me and looking through my work that I am pretty much sure would never have come into light had you been present that very fortunate day I had submitted my plans.

Anyways, since the opportunity has come our way, we will grab it and work hard to the top like the motive of our company has always been . This project would not only be beneficial to us in learning new things but also to the company in so many dimensions. I would be looking forward to work with all of you, in a new project, in a different place to make a whole lot of new memories.