PREFACE

1840. Two years after the Victorian era began. Chatsworth House, England.

The Dukes of Devonshire was one of the most prestigious families of the English aristocracy, they were immensely powerful and wealthy, as well as having an unblemished reputation. As expected, they had numerous properties both in town and in the country but, the most majestic was the Chatsworth House, an imposing building surrounded by acres of meadows and forests considered the family's usual residence.

Its halls housed a fabulous collection of works of art which had encouraged the beloved Audrey to develop a strange fondness for painting, it was not a common passage among the ladies of the English aristocracy but no one ever reproached her for part of her mother. You could say that this was the only "defect" (of what could be considered a defect at that time) that the beautiful Audrey had since at an early age she had become a perfect English lady: educated in etiquette, music, sewing, dance, and French. Besides having unpolluted manners in society, it had never been possible to speak ill of her and it was not because English society was precisely indulgent or that she went unnoticed, on the contrary, since she had presented herself in society last year, all the glances had focused on her, turning her into the focus of attention. And no wonder, since she was the first daughter of the wealthy Devonshire family. Not only did she possess an immense dowry and a prestigious surname, but she possessed a unique and incomparable beauty.

Her black hair in contrast to her blue eyes and white skin had turned her into the beauty of the season even if she did not fulfill the prototype of the time, which required being blonde. Nobody understood how a young girl like her had not married in the first season, it was not for lack of proposals, of course not. That little detail was the only one that could have lit the fuse of the rumors but Audrey transmitted so much serenity and temperance that nobody had dared to mention that event in public.

However, in the family nucleus, the waters were not so appeased, the Duchess of Devonshire was restless and questioned her daughter why her decline into the endless handsome gentlemen who had asked for his hand. The father, affectionate and permissive, had not wanted to give the hand of his beloved daughter without the consent of the same but if it had been for his mother, the girl would already have the surname of the Duke of Walton or of Cornwall no matter the least your opinion about it

The Duke of Devonshire, Anthon Cavendish, was a man who, despite his age, still retained his poise and elegance: he was tall, stocky, with jet-black hair in contrast to two small oceans that softened his hard features; his first-born, was his faithful copy not only in size but in personality and the Duke knew it. Despite having no heir, Anthon had never regretted it, always said that his five daughters were the best he had ever had in his life and always filled them with affection and attention.

On the other hand, his wife had always regretted having fathered only useless ladies. The rigid Elizabeth Cavendish, was a beauty in her youth and the debutant star of his season, in fact, still retained his impressive golden hair and slender body; however, his vinegary personality and his eccentric character obscured his external beauty. The duchess's only concern was to educate and train her daughters as educated and submissive women that she could sell to the highest bidder and the highest bidder meant a gentleman who owned title and money so that, at least, he could secure his own future if his husband would one day leave him because the lack of an heir would make him depend on the compassion of his sons-in-law; Because of that, Elizabeth taught strict discipline and education exempt from any manifest of affection.

 The duchess's only concern was to educate and train her daughters as educated and submissive women that she could sell to the highest bidder and the highest bidder meant a gentleman who owned title and money so that, at least, he could secure his...