Circumstances Part 1

Chapter 1: A Mysterious Reunion

Clemont wasn't sure what woke him up. It was still dark outside save for the numerous streetlamps. No sounds were heard aside from a dull roar of a rainstorm outside. Clemont checked his alarm clock. It was nearly 2:30 AM. The blonde groaned, but he put on his glasses and pulled himself out of bed to check on Bonnie. His big brother instinct seemed to always know if his little sister had a nightmare. He trudged out of his room and down the hall. It has been a little over a month now since he resumed his duties at the Lumiose Gym. A month since his journey through Kalos came to an end. A month since Ash went home. After everything that happened, it was almost boring to be back home. Even with the daily gym challengers requesting a battle either against him or Clembot.

Clemont peeked into Bonnie's room. She was sound asleep with Dedenne sleeping right next to her. Clemont smiled to see that his sister wasn't in any sort of distress, but it still begged the question of what woke him up.

That's when he heard it. A quiet scratching sound. So quiet Clemont was surprised he even heard it. He followed the sound to the front door of the gym. Perplexed Clemont moved to open the door. Surely no one in their right mind would challenge the gym at this ridiculous hour.

The door swished open. At first, Clemont couldn't see anyone except for rain and the streets. but just as he was about to write this off as a prank by some immature delinquent he felt a small pressure on his leg.

"Rooo"

Clemont gazed downward to see a very wet Riolu looking up at him with sad and worried eyes.

"Whoa, what's wrong, little guy? What brings you here?"

Clemont knelt down so that he was at eye level with the Emanation Pokemon and scanned it for any injuries. Once satisfied that the pokemon seemed fine albeit soaking wet he looked around for anyone who could possibly be its trainer. However, it soon became clear that Riolu was alone. Where did it come from? And why was it scratching at his door in the middle of the night? Fair questions, but neither had an answer at present.

"I'm...afraid that I can't have a gym battle with a pokemon." Clemont joked. "And even if I could it's the middle of the night."

The Riolu seemed uninterested in Clemont's attempt to lighten the mood. It began barking and pulling on Clemont's pyjama pants and pointing out into the rain.

"You....want me to follow you?" Clemont guessed, receiving an affirmative nod in response from the Riolu.

Clemont sighed. He really didn't want to go out in the pouring rain at 2:30 in the morning. Yet, the Riolu seemed extremely upset about something. From the way it was staring at him, Clemont had a feeling it wouldn't leave him alone until he investigated.

"Okay...just...just give me a second."

Clemont rushed back into the gym and back to his bedroom. He went into his closet to grab a blue raincoat and an umbrella and put his trainers on. Then picked up one of his pokeballs from his night-stand and called out Helliolisk. The Generator Pokemon let out a huge yawn.

"Sorry to wake you Helliolisk, but something....came up." Clemont apologised, unsure of how else to word this current situation.

"Could I ask you to watch over Bonnie for me in case she wakes up, I won't be gone long."