Circumstances Part 7

Chapter 6: A Spark

"Chespin, have you been at the pokepuffs again?!"

"Piiin?"

Chespin looked up at his trainer who was now giving him a very stern look and tried to act innocent but the crumbs on the grass type's face answered Clemont's question. He let out a sigh. The store-bought pokepuffs don't hold a candle to Serena's home-made ones, but that certainly hasn't stopped Chespin from devouring half the jar.

"I keep telling you if you want a pokepuff just ask. And don't eat so many. The other pokemon like them too."

Chespin frowned at the reprimanding it was getting but nodded then dashed off to play with Bunnelby who was quite apologetic about the whole thing. Clemont sat down on one of the kitchen chairs and let out another breath.

"That pokemon is gonna be the death of me."

That said, Clemont didn't have the energy to worry about Chespin's deplorable eating habits right now. It's been a few days since that night in the gym and he still felt awkward around Ash. He was finding it increasingly difficult to be in the same room as him without his face heating up, so for the past couple of days, he had been avoiding being near Ash for too long. He felt bad for it, but he didn't know what else he could do about it that didn't involve telling Ash why he was avoiding him. Clemont ran a hand through his hair.

I can't tell him. It will ruin everything. If I just stay out of his way for a while, maybe this feeling will just go away, but what if he finds out? What if he'll hate me?

The very thought made Clemont's heart sink like a brick in a swimming pool. He got up and left the kitchen. He needed to do something to distract himself so that he would stop picturing Ash's disgusted face.

"Hey, Clemont."

Clemont had to stifle a groan when he heard Ash who was standing in the hallway with Pikachu on his shoulder as usual.

"You okay?" he asked with a frown.

"I....I'm fine. Sorry, I need to....do something," Clemont dashed past his friend and into his workshop. The blonde tried to stop himself from shaking. It wasn't easy.

What am I gonna do? I can't keep this up forever.

- - - - - - -

He did it again. What is this all of a sudden?

Ash let out a loud sigh then continued down the hallway.

"Come on, Pikachu. Let's go out and do some training," he said to his partner.

"Pika!" squeaked Pikachu giving Ash a reassuring nuzzle.

"Heh, thanks, buddy."

Ash left the gym and made his way down one of the streets. He hoped he would be able to find a suitable training area since he didn't get a chance to do so last time because of that strange Hypno incident. He still wasn't sure how or why that happened. It was so sudden. Nothing like it happened before or since. Ash shook his head, deciding it wasn't worth worrying about right now. He scanned the area trying to think of a good place. Then it came to him and he felt silly for not thinking of it sooner.

"Hey, how about where we first battled Clemont?" he suggested to Pikachu.

Ash then felt a pang in his heart at the thought the friend who had been acting strangely distant to him lately. Ash let his gaze fall to the ground, wondering what could've triggered such a change.