Contemporary

Noah
As dance captain, I get handed alot of responsibilities. Michelle and Emily have alot on their plates as studio heads, so I try to help as much as I can to make things run smoothly. Today I have the honour of choosing the Contemporary category dancers. Each dancer selected will be put into assigned pairs. Then each will battle in a duet and the winner of each duo will be on the routine. There is alot of pressure on me to choose the perfect group for this category.

Davis is new on the team, and so far has shown alot of talent. She has yet to be on a regionals routine so I hope she performs well today. I know contemporary is one of her strong suits, so if she is as talented as Jacquie says she is our troupe will be at an advantage for sure.

Then there's Summer, who I guess is still quite new to the troupe. Yes, she shows passion and emotion through dance; technique however? Personally I think she needs to work on it a little. She is also in alot of routines already so I think it would be unfair to hand her another place on a regionals routine. However, I won't be biased.

Kingston and Ozzy seem tense lately, which I think will actually help them being partnered together. Due to them being best friends, there is a lack of competition between them. This new found tension will add a much needed element of competitiveness.

Piper has recently faced anxiety, struggling with confidence with the team lately. She is an amazing dancer, but is held back by her aerial. A dance move like this is crucial to be perfect as it adds technique to the routine in any category. Apart from that, she has a strong chance of being on the routine. Her being paired with Davis will hopefully help strengthen her self confidence.

Finally Richelle. The last dancer up for a spot on the routine. Her technique is effortless and flawless. Though her emotion doesn't always shine through, her technique and choreography automatically wows any audience. I see her on this routine, so hopefully she does her best.

The dancers all enter the room pulling me out of my thoughts. I introduce how today will go, who is partnered with who etc. Each duo goes there separate ways and begins practicing their moves.

A few hours later, performance time arrives. First is Summer and Richelle. The music starts and Summer begins gracefully dancing along the floor, emotion glowing on her face. Richelle begins a few seconds later. Straight away pulling off tricks that would wow any judge at any competition. That wow factor isn't just from a smile on her face, but hard work and determination. The effort she puts into dance is admirable.

Each duet as starts one after another. Davis pulling off a perfect aerial after perfect turns followed by perfect leg work. Piper definitely looks vulnerable; not confident at all. She looks defeated. Kinston and Ozzy hold the competitiveness I was looking for. They battle for the best place, pulling out great turns and Kingston completing a clean b-twist.

Afterwards I call everyone over and announce the Contemporary routine members:

Richelle
Davis
Kingston

Although I don't admit, Richelle had a place on the dance from the start.