5. Realization

"Mom?! Are you alright?" I snapped out of my thoughts and stared at Betty. "I- Eh sorry what did you say?" "I asked if you were alright? Do you know Jughead's dad?" She asked. I faked a slight smile while picking up the pieces of my cup. "Oh well, I knew him in high school yes but after that we haven't spoken to each other. It just a little surprise to hear a familiar name again." That wasn't completely a lie but I decided it would be easier if I didn't mention the full truth about our past. Polly and Betty nodded and continued eating but I felt Charles eyes staring at me. I knew he wasn't going to let it slip like the girls. As we finished breakfast I told them I would be job hunting for the rest of the day and Betty asked if she and Polly could join Archie and Jughead at the Sweetwater River. "Sure honey but be back at seven."Excitedly the both gave me a kiss and ran upstairs to change. "Mom, why did you you reacted like that when Betty tld you Jughead's name?" Charles asked while helping me clean up the table. "It is just weird to hear the name of an old friend again after 25 years, sweetheart. Somehow, you'd think everything will stay the same as the last time but then you come back and realize you're not the only one who continued with his life. You'll understand when you're in my position." I smiled. He still seemed a bit sceptic but he nodded and placed the last stuff in the dishwasher. "Today is my first day at the station and I will be back late so don't wait for me for dinner." "You'll do great, sweetheart. Do you want me to drive you?" I asked, knowing that he had to walk 20 minutes otherwise. Charles shrugged but agreed. "I'm going to put on my uniform, see you in five." As he went upstairs, the girls came down. "Good luck at your first day, big brother." Polly laughed. "Yeah, catch a lot of criminals." Betty added. "Thank you and I will. Have fun with Archie and Jughead." He laughed. As they entered the kitchen, I heard a car pulling up. "I think the boys are already there. I'll open the door so you can put something in your bags for lunch." I suggested and the girls nodded before opening the fridge. I walked to the front door and the two boys in front of me got startled as they just wanted to ring the bell. I chuckled "I'm sorry to startle you two, I just heard a car pull up. Come on in." "Thanks, miss Smith." Archie replied and he walked in, followed by a dark haired boy, wearing a flanel shirt, a ripped jeans and a beanie. After I closed the door, I turned to them. "So what are the plans for today?" The dark haired guy cleared his throat before answering "We thought we'd go for a swim in Sweetwater River, lunch at Pop's and then a small tour around Riverdale." I nodded "Great idea, I haven't had the time to show them around yet but I think they might like it better  you two did it. Just be home before dinner, if you want you can join?" The boys looked at each other. "Uh I'll have to check with my dad but I'm sure it's not a problem." Archie answered. Jughead looked a bit uncomfortable. "Are you alright?" I asked him? He nodded. "I'd love to come, but I kind of have agreed to dine with my father. We're trying to improve our bond." He explained. "Oh but invite him too? Then you two are together too and mom, then you can catch up with mister Jones." Betty proposed while she and Polly came out of the kitchen. Oh no, this was not happening. How would I get out of this without causing suspicion? But Jughead already helped me unknowingly out. "That's are really nice offer, Betty, but given my father's and my position i this rebuilding relationship, I'd rather be on my own with my father. Maybe we can do this later? I mean, I really appreciate the offer but a lot has happened over the summer and I really want this to work out." "That's really not a problem, Jughead. Such thing comes first. But you are always welcome here." I said with a big smile. "Thank you, miss Smith." "Alright, let's get going before it's lunchtime already." Polly said which made the others chuckle. "Bye mom!" "Bye miss Smith!" "Bye kids." After they left, Charles hurried down the stairs. "Sorry it took me so long but I couldn't find my badge." No problem, sweetie, I still have to put on my shoes and get my purse." He nodded and went already outside to wait in the car. In my bedroom I put on a pair of black high heels with a golden tip. I took the purse I stuffed before breakfast and walked downstairs. I plucked my beige coat from the coat rack before locking the house and getting into the car.