Chapter 5

Several theories evolved to explain her actions. One was that Lam was trying to get the elevator car to move in order to escape from someone pursuing her. Others suggested that she might be under the influence of ecstasy or some other party drug. When her bipolar disorder became known, the theory that she was having a psychotic episode also emerged.

In September, Lam's parents filled a wrongful death suit, claiming the hotel failed to inspect and seek out hazards in the hotel that presented an unreasonable risk of danger to Lam and other hotel guests and seeking unspecified damages and burial costs. The hotel argued it could not have reasonably forseen that Lam might have entered the water tanks,  and that since it remained unknown how Lam got to the water tank no liability could be assigned for failing to present that.

In 2015, the suit was dismissed. "The Death of Elisa Lam" remained a mystery. Till now,  I rewind  again and again and watch the footage to gather more information of her disappearance. It haunts some, hallucinates others. But disturbs me everytime. I have been working since years for my blog but the number of likes, comments and retweets this story of Lam received in my blog is just uncomaparable.

The circumstances of Lam's Death have been compared to plot elements in the 2005 horror film" Dark Water". As life had imitated art with Dark water,  the creators of the films and television shows used the Lam case  as inspiration for their own works.

Another ABC series "How to get away with murder" had a similar storyline. Band member 'Mark Kozelek' said in an interview, "I have come to the conclusion that nobody died in the water tank. There is no way to identify the girl on the elevator as her face is pixelated. "

I still wonder why did I waste my sleep that very night. Glancing at the dial of my watch, I went to sleep.