Chapter Seven

The castle was huge on the inside. The first thing that caught my attention was the throne. It was also dark red, with a black cushion and skulls surrounding it.

I walked in, my footsteps echoing silently. There were two staircases leading to another floor. There were three doors that I could see. One on the second floor and two on the first floor.

A sound of rattling startled me. It seemed to be coming from under the floor. Wait. What had Jessabel told me earlier?

"I want you to stay away from him. I've already locked him up."

She was talking about Vlad. Vlad is in here.

"Vlad?" I called. The rattling stopped.

"Vlad. It's me."

There was silence. Then...

"Olivia?"

I laughed with joy. I had found him. I pressed my ear to the floor to hear Vlad better.

"Vlad, where are you?"

"Mum locked me in a cage down here. She hung the keys on the wall. Usually she would get down here by chanting something, but there's a lever she pulls when she kills people. Can you find it?"

I stood up. "Where would it be?"

"Near her chair. It's small, but easy to see when you're close."

"Ok. I'll get you out of here Vlad. Don't worry."

I walked to the throne and started searching. I checked the arms of the chair, but it wasn't there. I searched everywhere but couldn't find it. And then there it was, behind the chair.

"How does your mum even reach the lever?"

"She can grow extra arms."

I pulled the lever and the ground started rumbling. A hole appeared in the middle. I stepped up to it and looked down. Vlad was right underneath in a cage.

"Olivia. Step-"

He didn't get to finish his sentence. The hole quickly spread and I fell. I screamed and shut my eyes. I stopped suddenly. I looked up and saw Vlad holding onto me, his arm poking through the bars.

"Are you ok?" He asked.

"Yeah." I breathed. "Thanks."

Ground started growing out of the wall and I could step down. Up on the wall I saw some silver keys and tried to grab them, but they were too high up.

"I can't get them." I said.

"Well, that's a problem."

Vlad sat down and thought of a plan while I searched for something that could help. Vlad suddenly stood up.

"Come over here."

I walked over and he reached down. I put my hand up and our fingertips touched. A zap of electricity hit my finger and I jumped back.

"Sorry." He said. "That's what happens."

"It's ok. It doesn't hurt that much."

I suddenly felt lighter. Like I was flying.

"It worked! I didn't think it would work on humans!" Vlad's voice came from beneath me.

I looked down and realised that I was flying. I cried out and turned upside down, trying to control myself.

Eventually I got control and flew over to the keys, grabbed them and let V out. He held onto me and I flew us out of there.

We started to run through the forest. Vlad stopped and held up a hand. I listened and heard footsteps. Soon, Jessabel came round the corner, grinning.

She didn't bother talking. Her body grew big and red. Her black hair flowed down and her nails grew long and black. Vlad pushed me back.

"Don't freak out ok?" He said. I nodded.

Vlad hunched over and he grew big and grey. Black bony wings grew out of his back and his nails grew to almost the same length as Jessabel's.

He hissed and fangs grew in his teeth. Jessabel growled back in response. They started walking, which soon turned to running. Vlad held up his fist.