DADDY

Rolling over in his bed, Steve stretches and then feels something hit his hand underneath the pillow. He's been sleeping like this since he got it. The small black box sits beside the divorce papers under his pillow. The papers are just copies of the ones that he'd signed for Sharon and their going to be proof to one special girl that he's fully hers and that he won't ever leave her again. He just doesn't know how he's going to apologize after being gone for so long and for not telling her sooner that he and Sharon had split.

He picks his phone up after he sits up and rubs his eyes, getting the sand from them. Steve flips it open and then presses the number that he has on speed dial.

"Hello?" The voice on the other side of the line says.

"Hey..." He whispers, stifling a yawn with the back of his hand.

"Steven?" Katrina says blinking a few times as she'd just woken up.

"Yeah, it's me. Hey uh... Are you okay with... if I- If I come over?" He can hear Katrina's smile when he asks that but then he can tell when it falls.

"Why?" She gets a little worried.

"Because I just want to see you. I have something to show you, actually."

"Really?"

"Yeah." He smiles on his end of the phone and he can hear her get up and get ready. He's used to the sound of shuffling clothes, but he hears something different in the background this time. She must have thought that she hung up... He thinks with a grin.

Katrina puts her phone down on her bed while she gets her clothes on, "Emma! Grant! Kids, come on. Get up. Get dressed. We're getting ready to have a visitor!"

"What?" Emma comes running into the room with her twin just on her heels. "Who is it mommy?"

Katrina kneels down when she has her pants buttoned and takes the two seven-year old's in her arms and smiles. "He's someone that you should know. He's someone that you haven't seen in a long time- actually... You've seen pictures of him."

"Weawwy?" Emma asks pulling out of her mother's grip. "Show me again!"

"Yeah! I wanna see!" Grant nearly squeals when she gets up to go find a picture of Steve. Grant is one of those bright children that has so much creativity that it gives Katrina a headache to think of how skilled at drawing he is for such a young boy.

Steve still has his phone to his ear and he hears all of this. He realizes that there's two voices and he's sad for a moment when he hears it. She's with someone else...

"Here." Katrina holds out a photo of the man she's telling them about.

"Mommy, I know him!" Emma giggles, "That's Steve!"

"Yeah, mommy! That's daddy!" Steve hears the second voice giggling too, he remembers Katrina calling for two kids and then smiles. They're mine... He doesn't want to hang up the phone until there's a shuffle on Katrina's end, "Daddy!"

Grant grabs his mother's phone and puts it to his ear but he doesn't hear anything except the buzzing from Steve hanging up. That was my son... My daughter... That's what I'm going to go home to... That's the piece of me that Katrina wanted so badly.