4.

He watches her sleeping, Blake was unable to keep her eyes on him any longer and now it's his turn to study her.
While two unknown beings circle the old house Mason keeps his ears on them and his eyes on her.

At first he thought her pretty, now as she lays still and relaxed by his side he knows he was wrong.

Blake is beautiful.

So fragile and delicate, so trusting of him. Mason can't ever remember being touched with such care, dare he say, affection?
Her hand on his face for no other reason than his welfare was unexpected and welcomed, he wishes it a thousand times more.

For this reason Mason will hunt down her intruders, now he has their scent there's no escape, he can track them till the end of time. And he will, once Blake excuses him from her company, Mason will kill them both.

One thing he knows about the duo chatting quietly on the best method of retrieval, unaware he can hear every word, every breath, is that they are not human. The heartbeats are too slow, the breaths too far and few between to sustain human life.

What he doesn't know is why they want his Blake, completely human and incapable of self defence.

Are you sure it's her? It's been years.

I know my mate, I recognised those eyes immediately. Disappointing that she didn't have the same spark of recognition.

Now what? We were planning on her coming willingly.

Now we wait, we find out who these men are and what they want from my bride.

And then...?

And then I take her home, whether she wills it or not.

Blake is no ones bride, she has no man. Not one phone conversation with gossiping girls has revealed such information, she shares her cycle, every detail of her shifts at the coffee shop, the cocktail list at the local bar, but not one utterance of a man. Only the lack of.
Her fear is true, these men have surely mistaken her for another.

Blake reaches out her hand, those dainty fingers lure him forward and without much thought he pulls her closer, onto his lap and into his chest. Even in sleep she seeks the safety he offers.

Protection was never on the agenda but suddenly protecting this tiny female is now the most important thing Mason will do with his lonely life.

The way Blake curls into his body feels more like destiny, like heaven.

Those men think to take away his heaven?

Mason will show them his hell.