Chapter 8: Pieces of Broken Memories

Three and a half hours later

Location: Brooklyn/New York

"We must save him," Jake whispered, sitting cross-legged on his sofa with his laptop over his legs, "I'm gonna find him," he spoke to himself, setting a goal and working to reach it.

Despite her protestation, Jake had to drag Nicole out of the safe house after Ford's video call, knowing that he certainly have found their hiding spot and would probably have set 'eyes' on them, he brought her to his apartment, wrapping all their communication devices in thick firewalls and delaying the concern about his mother's place for later.

"We can't do that alone," Nicole replied, watching Jake hitting his keyboard buttons with evident frustration, "this is unlike anything we went through before," she finished, twiddling with the edge of her long sleeve.

Jake nodded, sensing her growing apprehension.

"His life is on the edge," she added, looking straight into Jake's eyes, "we can't risk it," she whispered, feeling an abnormal quiver in her heart.

"He's gonna make it," Jake muttered, looking down at his keyboard, "he's a brave bastard, he's gonna be okay," he finished, hoping that his words would be real.

Jake didn't know Brendon for a long time, but at the time he spent with him, Brendon was nothing but a great assistance, yes, Brendon was a dangerous man, but he was a true gentleman with a kind heart and a brilliant mind, he was someone Jake would be glad to call 'a friend.'

"You have someone in mind?" Jake asked, raising his eyebrows, "one of your folk?"

"I think I know someone who can help," she answered after seconds of thinking, "but he's definitely not one of our folk," she mimicked his tone, "in fact, he's from the opposite folk."

Jake frowned, indicating that he didn't understand what she meant.

"He's a police officer, last time I checked I knew that he's an NYPD detective," Nicole explained.

Realization hit Jake way too quickly for his liking, he blinked several times, shaking his head as if what he heard from the blonde woman was a work of his tired brain.

"No," he mouthed, "hell... no... Nicole? Do you... Are you listening to yourself?"

Nicole expected such a reaction from Jake, she couldn't blame him, the whole situation was getting crazier by the moment.

"I can't turn to one of our old acquaintances for help, all of them had some... you know... issues with Brendon," Nicole defended, "he seems like he has a talent in pissing people off," she murmured, feeling a bit of anger at him herself.

For her, Brendon was one of the smartest people she ever met, she had always admired his intelligence and wits, and loved his way of thinking and his wild imagination, but at the same time, he could turn into one of the stupidest creatures on the planet for the simplest reasons.