Chapter 11: The Scars Souvenir

16 days later.

Mount Vernon Carnival/New York.

"I can't believe you brought me here," Nicole spoke with a slight laugh as she shoved the last bite of pink, fluffy Cotton Candy in her mouth before throwing the stick in a nearby trash bin.

"Well, you wanted to be here, so," Brendon shrugged, burying his hands in his pockets as he strode beside her.

Licking her fingers, she beamed at him as she held the giant teddy bear she managed to win at a ball game close to her body, it was almost her height.

The space around them where the carnival held was mostly crowded, several people were scattered here and there, couples walking hand in hand, exchanging warm looks and stolen kisses, parents trotting around with their kids and joyful smiles on their faces.

Green patches of grass extended under their feet as Nicole and Brendon walked around, passing the high Ferris Wheel and the Spinning Charm Horses where children rode white unicorn with rainbow-colored hair, the sound of their delightful giggles blending with the soft music that was coming out of the game.

Nicole hazarded a look at her companion, Brendon looked pretty much the same, the softness of his features was soothing to her, she was glad that what happened in the past few days had not changed him in a severe way.

Except for the mysterious, dark look that sat in his once bright, twinkly eyes.

The noise of the fake shots of one of the shooting games next to where they were walking startled Nicole, causing her to hug the Teddy Bear tighter as she pushed a strand of hair behind her ear, hoping that her face hadn't betrayed her.

Sensing her disruption, Brendon linked his arm with hers, steering her away from the crowd as he glimpsed a wooden bench not so far from the Ferris Wheel.

Perching on it, Nicole moved closer to Brendon to make a space for her Teddy Bear, getting a light chuckle from him in response, she really liked that thing.

They sat in silence, looking ahead at nothing in particular as a swirl of thoughts and feels worked its way inside them, both of them were unable to express it out loud.

"Are you okay?" Nicole found herself questioning after moments of hesitation, she didn't know why did she ask him such a question that she already knew the answer for, but she hated that dreading quietness that started to grow to a chocking point between them.

"I will be," Brendon answered in a soft voice, looking down, vivid memories of the dark past events resurfaced in his memory and started to cloud his mind.

"How's Chams?" he asked, trying to change the subject.

"He's happy with his new toys, he brought a whole new super computer or something, you should have seen the look on his face," Nicole replied, fiddling with a loose thread on her sweater, "I think he brought another house for his mom as well."