20 - Bittersweet

Zzzzzzz

I looked up to see that Daniel had already fast asleep when I heard him snoring. He must be really tired. I was damn tired too but for some reason I couldn't sleep.

I whispered softly to his face, "I'll be right back," before leaving a peck on his forehead.

I couldn't help but smile when I saw him smiling in his sleep as he snuggled closer to his blanket. He looked really peaceful and happy.

When I was making a hot chocolate in the kitchen, suddenly I heard a really loud thunder. So I went to the front porch with a cup of chocolate in my hand to check the weather.

"Whoah, it's pouring," I looked up to the dark sky while putting out my hand.

The rain was quickly filled up my hand, but some eventually escaped once it's full.

"What are you doing?" I jumped when suddenly I heard Ben's voice.

I turned to the sound and saw him drenched, carrying a bunch of bags on his hands.

"Oh My God. Are you okay? What happened?" I quickly put down my cup on the table to help him with the bags.

"Thank you. Yeah, I'm okay. Just running a bit in the rain. Haha," he scrubbed the water off his jacket.

I quickly went inside to get a towel, and the rest of the chocolate that I made earlier. I was glad that I made an extra, I knew someone would need it.

"Here," I handed him the items.

"Thank you. Wow, this is nice," he dried himself lightly before taking a sip of the chocolate.

"What are these? Can't you just wait for the rain to stop before you get them?" I sat next to the bags to check on them.

"I can't. I don't have much time. These are the boys' outfits for next week that Carrie to fix before we get back, which is tomorrow. I don't know why, but the new stylists just couldn't get their sizing right, especially Daniel's. It's either too long, or too short. Hhh. If only Carrie was there, we don't need to go through so much hassle," he blurted.

I got paralyzed the moment he said that. I knew that he didn't mean anything bad, he probably didn't even realize that he said it. But it's still left a huge slap on my face.

I knew that everybody had to work extra hard because of me. Ben had to come there alone and single handedly taking care of Daniel while still remotely managing the others back home because no one from the company should know about my presence. And I was sure that it must not be easy for Carrie to secretly fly me to another country without getting caught by the company. I also couldn't even imagine what Daniel had to go through to be able to spend some time with me there. He probably hadn't slept for days to make up for it, that's why he fell asleep so fast earlier. Yet there I was, doing nothing but fucking around with Daniel.

Third person P.O.V

"I'm sorry," somehow you managed to mumble the words out.

Ben approached you in panic upon realizing what he just said, "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to blame you,"

"I know. But that doesn't make it any less true, does it? It is my fault," you tried really hard to hide the bitterness by putting a smile on your face, but it's still shown.

He sighed deeply because he felt bad for making you feel guilty, but at the same time he couldn't disagree.

"Look, I would be lying if I said that I never blame you for what happened. But trust me, it' is not your fault. I was just frustrated because I don't know how to fix it," he grabbed your hands.