Chapter 19: Blue hair!?

Rapunzel's POV:

Varian's state had been getting worse as the time passed.
Luckily, the full moon would soon appear through the wells hole. Then, Rapunzel would be able to heal the poor boy properly, or at least that's what Gothel had said, anyways.
It pained her to see him so hurt and sad, gripping her hand as if his life depended on it.
She knew Varian was suffering, she could tell by the way he gritted his teeth, by how his muscles tensed every time he inhaled.
Rapunzel promised herself she would protect him, but how could she do that? She didn't even know how to activate her own powers, how could Gothel expect her to activate Varian's?
And even if she did. What would happen next?
Adira, the stoic warrior who always seemed calmed even in the worst situations, had panicked at the prospect of Varian being the moondrop.
She had said Corona would be destroyed if the moondrop was awakened, and judging by the ruined Dark Kingdom, Rapunzel could tell she wasn't exaggerating.
To put a live over a thousand.
To break a promise with another.
To save a friend or her kingdom...
Varian put a hand over his mouth, coughing blood once again.
Rapunzel took note of her friends paleness, his eyes slightly closed.
She tensed, the blood draining from her face, something was definitely wrong.
"Varian, are you feeling okay?"
He didn't respond.
His hand loosened the death grip on her hand, making Rapunzel to hold it more tightly.
"Varian!" she screamed, putting her trembling hand on his shoulder and shaking him. "No no no, Gothel says you will survive! You hear me?!"
His eyes drifted from her to the floor.
"Snap out of it! I promised I would get us out of here, remember?" she sobbed, unable of containing her tears. "Speak to me!"
"Take care of him" she barely heard him whisper.
Rapunzel let go of his hand, which fell to the cold floor lifelessly, the rattling of the chains startling her momentarily.
"No" she gasped. "No, This...this can't be true"
A white light illuminated the room, the full moon suddenly appearing from the whole in the ceiling.
Rapunzel took Varian's bloody hand, trying to find his pulse.
There wasn't.
Her eyes widened as shaky sobs escaped her mouth, she watched at her own hands, covered in Varian's blood. The moon laughed at her, it was too late.
"Heal him" she heard a voice whisper.
Rapunzel sadness turned to anger in a split second, standing up and punching a wall. "YOU! You killed him!" She screamed, letting more tears run down her cheeks.
"Yes, but you can still heal him" Gothel retorted.
"Don't you get it? He's death! There's nothing to heal!" she yelled back, falling to her knees.
Rapunzel looked at Varian's calm expression, his closed eyes, a slight smile drawn in his lips.
How could she let something so horrible happen to him?
The white aura of the moon seemed to increase.
"The moon is now in position, heal him now and he will come back, you brat!" The witch growled impatiently.
Rapunzel took his hand. Was that even possible?
It's worth the try, she thought.
"What...what must I do?" she sniffed.
"Sing the song"
"You mean...?"
"No, not your song" Gothel said pissed, which angered and confused Rapunzel at first.
Then it all clicked.
That song.
Those lyrics.
Rapunzel wiped her tears, holding her hands over Varian's chest. Her hair, which she had tried to braid, covering most of the circled room's floor.

"Power shine and flow...
Lead me through the night,
Help me if I'm lost,
tell me what's wrong, what's right...

Energy seemed to start forming around Varian, Rapunzel's hair levitating and shining brightly like the sun, while the boy's streak color spread through his head.
Rapunzel thought of the first time she had met Varian, how she had smiled at her brightly and tried his best to help her...
Rapunzel heard Gothel's maniacal laugh of glee, but she didn't stop.

Heal me when I'm hurt,
shield from Fate's design.
Guide those who need route
tell me what's wrong, what's right...

I won't fail you Varian, Rapunzel though, not again.
Even if I have to break Adira's promise, even if I destroy Corona or revive Gothel... I won't let you die here.
...She remembered the moment Varian had betrayed them, how she had realized all that time alone had changed him...

..What's wrong, what's right?..."

...Her relationship with Varian had been like a lunar phase: first it had been the light, then a path towards darkness... it was time for him to be a full moon again, she thought.
And then, after Rapunzel's melodic voice died and there was silence... everyone was blinded in a white explosion of light coming from Varian.
Rapunzel shut her eyes tightly, still pressing both hands over his chest, from which she could now feel a faint beating of a heart.
She opened her eyes slowly, two hands reaching for her wrists.
Varian's blue eyes locked hers with surprise.
His hair was a glowing icy blue, floating in the air as if there was no gravity.
The chains had been destroyed by the energy coming from Varian, as well as the ceiling, revealing the night sky covered in stars. The full moon was once again covered by the clouds.
Rapunzel looked at her own hair in amazement, exactly like Varian's, except for the length and the golden glow.
They stared at each other in shock.
Varian looked from his hair to Rapunzel quizzically.
"What did I miss?" he smiled.