Chapter Six

(I know this chapter is super short, but a lot is going to happen in the next chapter don't worry <3)

The conversation was a long one. Full of tears, sobs and sympathy. We all manage to stop crying, or at least to the point where we could speak.

"Jade..are you comfortable with going to the police?" Adrian's mother asks. I sit there, with my knees pulled up to my chest. I'm so afraid of authority figures, but I knew this was probably the best option. My step-mom would lose custody, I would get help. This had been going on for too long, even if I had just now realized it. I nod my head slowly, refraining from making eye-contact. "Jesus take the wheel.." I thought.

"Alright.." Adrian muttered. I could tell she was upset, almost angered. I could almost read her mind. She must've thought, "Why not come to me?" And honestly, I didn't know.

I really didn't.

But maybe the police really could help. I won't know, unless I talk. "W-When will I have to go?" I whisper, my voice coming out as a tired squeak. I was scared. I was afraid.

"Let's go tommrow, I'll call the school and let them know you aren't coming." Ms.McNamara said, wiping a few tears. Adrian turns to me, taking her hand in mine. The glint in her eye made me feel like she wanted to tell me something, but I knew she wouldn't. Is she..afraid?

I brush the thought away and nod, "Okay." We all sit there for a few more moments, not knowing what else to say. Finally Adrian's mother stands up, "Ill go ahead and make dinner. We're having fetticini."

I smile before also standing, and Adrian follows. "Let's go upstairs, I'll show you my most recent dance." She says with a smile. I could tell she was excited to show me, she loved to dance. I giggle and shove my hands in my pockets, following her up the stair case. We turn the corner, going back into her room. She turns on the light and marches straight to her dresser, opening one of the drawers.

I sit down onto her bed with a sigh, brushing my long, wavy, black hair behind my ears. She digs through the dresser draw before pulling out a holographic disk. The small rays of light shift the colors on the disk from green to blue, to purple. "Here it is!" Adrian says excitedly, walking over to an old radio she got for her last birthday. She placed the disk into the radio and pressed the 'play' button.

I watched as Adrian's body moved effortlessly to the beat, a smile plastered on her lips. I giggle as I watch her, the dance filled the room with a happy aura. She playfully danced some more before gesturing for me to join her. "Oh no!" I say, holding my hands up with a small laugh. "Come on!" Adrian said, pulling me off of the bed and onto my feet.

My cheeks heat up as I realize that I'm actually dancing a little. "Just move with the beat!" Adrian says. "Easy for you to say!"

I giggle a little, my confidence boosting a little as I dance beside her. She grabs my hand and goes to spin me,

But I lose my footing.

I squeal as I feel myself fall back, grabbing Adrian out of fear. We fall back on her bed, Adrian holding herself steadily above me. Normally, I would just laugh something like this off. But for some reason, I couldn't. Looking up into her eyes, seeing the shape of her face.

Her icy, blue eyes cut into me. I couldn't help but stare back. My face flushes as she subconsciously bites her lip. "This is weird..what's going on? Why does she look at me so longingly?" I think to myself, continuing to look into her eyes. I found myself not being able to look away. She opens her mouth to say something, but is quickly interrupted.

"Girls, dinner's ready!" We hear her mom yell from downstairs. Adrian quickly helps me up with a small, awkward chuckle. I untuck the hair behind my ears to hide my, now extremely, red face. We both walk down the stairs and make a right turn into her kitchen.

We didn't say a word the rest of the night.