Chapter 1

"We can't keep living like this mom!"
The argument I had with my mother keeps playing in my head... The fact that she wants to stay in such a restricted place baffles me. Not only do we not have internet or any form of entertainment, we can't personally own anything...
"Yeomin." My mother says at my door. I ignore her only to continue staring at the window.
"I know you're mad but how do you expect to leave? There's no way!" I roll my eyes and scoff.
"Have you forgotten that I've been planning our escape for over three years!? Come with me or don't but I'm going." She stared at me, tears welling in her eyes... "you will get found..." I shook my head and rolled my eyes. "Mom we weren't even born in Norh Korea! Grandma was! If we escape they aren't allowed to bring us back! We were only forced to stay here because we lived with grandma but now she's gone!"I don't feel bad. Not one bit. "If you want to stay and live this kind of life so be it." I'll find a way to bring her back.
"You don't mean that Yeomin..."
I nodded. "Yes I do... but I promise I'll do everything to bring you with me once I figure everything out."
She shook her head and closed my door. As my memory fades, I decided that now was my chance...
"Mom goes to bed at 12:00... that gives you an hour to get everything ready..." I say to myself as I pull my already packed backpack out from under my bed. I only have things I need.  A couple changes of clothes, money, a flashlight, food... things like that. I get my journal with all my plans in it out from under my desk. I go step by step to make sure all of this is as stealthy as possible. I've been studying the guards schedule and their every move for a few months, keeping everything written down.
"The guards should be on duty for the next hour... perfect. Mom will be asleep by then." I go over all my plans as I wait for the clock to strike 12:00...

.............................................................................

I take a deep breath knowing how dangerous this is... I change into my all black suit, making sure my face and hair is covered so they won't know who I am. I bind my chest and put in shoe inserts giving the impression of a male not wanting them to know anything about me... I know what your thinking... I'm being too extra. But if you think about it, the more I disguise myself, the less they'll have to search for. I leave the letter I've written for my mom on my desk, put my backpack on my back, and slip down the rope hanging out of my window. As I breathe heavily, I look around being sure no one is near. Sadly, I'm a few miles from the border. It will be harder for me to get through.

.............................................................................

I'm about half way to the border according to my map... But we've come to a bit of an altercation... there's some guards out tonight. I'm going to have to find a more hidden way to walk around them. They're standing in a line across the street. There are buildings on each side of the street so I decide to go around them. Luckily it's concrete and not grass so there will be less noise. I quickly run to the other side of the building with light steps, trying to make a minimal amount of noise. On the side of a building is a fence about a foot away from the building. I slide through the gap and try and hide behind miscellaneous objects until I get far enough away from the security guards.

Time skip (saving you from just reading repetitive sneaky things lmao)

At this point i was closer and closer to the border... so close I could see it.
But...
Guards... so.many.guards.
This is going to be nearly impossible. I decide to take my shoes off so I won't make as much noise on the concrete. I slowly unzip my bag, being sure to go so slowly that not even I can hear it. I slip my shoes in my bag and slowly zip it back up. I take a deep breath and try to look for a way to get by... there's no way... so many guards it's unbelievable. But I think I remember something about a break time... There's a certain time where they switch guards for the night. They all will walk away and about 2 minutes later a new set of guards comes out. If I can just wait for a while I'll have two minutes to run across and past the border. From there I'll sprint. I find a place as close as possible to the border so I'll have more time to spare when I need to run. I sit behind a bush somewhere around 30 feet from the border. There's a building separating me from the blue buildings, which is where the guards stand. It's going to be extremely difficult to go unnoticed but I think I can do it. The fence is open so it should be easy to at least run across. If needed I can always run into the river close by and hope I can hold my breath long enough for them to not see me. While I have the chance I decide to eat a bit. I open my backpack and grab a granola bar. I quietly open the bag and shove the whole thing into my mouth. Throwing the wrapper into my bag and quickly zip it as I see the guards leave. I take my chance... I throw my backpack on and run. I run as fast as I can. I keep running until I don't even see that damn fence anymore. Tears fall from my eyes as I run. I finally stop.
"I swear I saw someone! They were running this way!"
I run over to a small set of trees. Hiding between them I watch as two of the guards look for me with big ass guns. "Son of a bitch!"
"Well we can't keep looking or we'll get in trouble!" They begin to walk back. I wait until they're out of sight before I walk again. I have quite a ways to go before I reach an area where I'll be able to get a taxi.
...........................................
( this is going to skip a while of her walking but deal with it.)
The sun comes up and I feel like I'm going to pass out. I underestimated how long this travel would be.
"Miss..." I scream and duck,putting my hands over my head.
"Uhm...are you ok?" I look up to see a man around my age. I forgot I had changed into my regular attire about half way through the walk.
"Do you need a ride?" I nod slowly.
"Where are you headed?"
"Seoul." He nods for me to get in and I do.
"Where are you coming from?" I can't tell him... can I? I can't.
"Well I uhm- it's a long story."
He nods, not asking any further questions.
I begin to drift off in this strangers car.