3. Smile for the Camera

Words: 2244

Present Time 

"He's here!" Leo alerted her family before she ran at full speed to the entrance. Unfortunately, she wasn't the athletic one in the family. "Hi, Pete," she welcomed between many huffs and wheezes. 

Pete Castiglione chuckled faintly under his breath. "Skipping gym class, Leo?" 

Leo playfully glared up at the tall man smirking down at her. "Gym isn't mandatory anymore." 

"That's a shame," Pete replied, glancing around the foyer and nodding his head at Zach who returned the gesture with a peace sign from the living room. The boy was too engrossed in Call of Duty to actually stand up and greet the guest. Pete wasn't offended in the slightest. "Where's your dad?" 

Speak of the Devil and he shall appear. Pete and Leo heard furious footsteps growing louder and louder until David emerged from the corner with a woman who wasn't Sarah. 

Pete was taken back at the sight. "Karen?" 

Karen Page, a person Pete considered a trusted friend, stared back at him in bewilderment and concern. Both David and Karen looked to be in some form of distress putting Pete on high alert. Subconsciously, his eyes darted around, searching for any possible threat as well as counting all exits and possible objects that could be utilized as a weapon. 

"She called me because I'm the only one who can find you," David explained in a rush, looking exactly how Leo did moments ago.  

"We couldn't tell you this over the phone," Karen added. "You need to see for yourself." Meaning there they weren't in any danger at the moment but Pete didn't relax just yet. 

"Come," David instructed and led Pete downstairs, leaving Leo to join her brother. 

David brought Pete to his study that looked more civilized than the basement David and Pete hid in many months ago. The office still had multiple monitors but instead of a crappy chair and cement flooring, there were a couple of expensive leather office chairs on top of fancy hardwood flooring. The desks were somewhat clean. As usually, David had lots of clutter everywhere but this office definitely felt cozier than before. Though that didn't necessarily mean that Pete preferred this office over the previous one. 

David ushered for Pete to take a seat in the fancier office chairs much to Pete's displeasure. Karen took a seat in the chair beside him while David leaned on small desk off to the side.  

Pete decided to follow David's line of gaze to the three monitors positioned in front of them. Two of them were turned off. The other was a paused video showcasing a boardroom with a girl in a face mask sitting at the table. She wore a baggy black hoodie with her long brown hair cascading down to her shoulders in a tangled mess. Her bangs covered the majority of her forehead but they didn't hide her brown eyes which refused to stare directly at the camera. 

Before he could question his friend, David hit play. 

"Please state your name and age." Pete instantly recognized the voice without having to see its owner's face. Detective Dinah Madani. He hadn't encountered her in a long while. Pete glanced skeptically over at David but his friend was focused on the screen, biting one of his nails nervously. 

The next voice in the recording lacked the confidence and calm demeanour of Madani's. Hers was mixed with uncertainty and fatigue. "Lisa Castle. Sixteen." 

Pete's head snapped back in the direction of the monitor so fast, it gave Karen and David whiplash. They tried to read him but his face was void of any emotion as he stared at the teenage girl. It was unnerving for Karen and David.