13. Homecoming

Words: 1653

Old man Joe wished he had the strength and agility of his youth. Back in the day, he could carry his dear wife bridal style whenever he deemed fit. Now, Old man Joe could barely take his groceries up to his third-floor apartment. He had to stop at each floor and take a breather. The elderly man had one level left to go, but completing it would be quite the challenge. 

"Let me help you with that, Joe." A gruff voice spoke up before a hand reached and gently took the bags out of Old man Joe's wrinkled hands. 

Old man Joe turned in the direction to the voice and shook his head in disbelief. He almost didn't recognize the man standing before him because of his clean shaven. "Pete Castiglione as I live and breathe. How was your trip?" 

"Life changing," Pete answered. 

Old man Joe raised an eyebrow at Pete's answer. That's when the elderly man noticed a petite girl hiding behind Pete. She had long, brown hair and warm brown eyes. That was all Old man Joe could see of her because she covered her face with a light pink mask. She had a backpack strapped behind her white hoodie. She wore ripped boyfriend jeans and high top converse. Her outfit was rather befitting apart from the face mask to the point where Old man Joe contemplated if the mask was a fashion statement. Were masks in trend now? 

"And who is this?" Old man Joe asked curiously. He didn't know Pete hung out with teenagers. Old man Joe wasn't sure if he should be concerned about this revelation. 

Pete glanced over his shoulder with a gentle smile. Old man Joe was taken back by Pete's expression. He's never seen the young man smile as such. He was used to seeing Pete walk around as though he was carrying significant weight on his shoulders, one that brought the man grave pain. 

"I'd like you to meet my daughter, Elizabeth. Liz, this is my neighbour, Old man Joe." Pete introduced the two to each other. 

Old man Joe almost had a stroke from what he just heard. "You have a daughter?" He glanced between Pete and Liz. He'd never expect Pete to have a child, let alone an adolescent one due to Pete's stellar age. 

Pete nodded his head. "We were separate due to unforeseeable circumstances," Pete explained, his demeanour shifting slightly at the mention of the worst day of his life before returning to normal. "But we've reunited." 

Old man Joe couldn't have been happier to hear such good news. He properly turned to face the young girl and brought his hand up. "Well, it is a pleasure to meet you, Miss. Castiglione." 

Liz shook the elderly man's hand. "Likewise." 

Old man Joe frowned. With his poor eyesight, he couldn't tell what sort of expression the girl was making with pretentious fabric covering her. "Why the mask, child?" 

Liz hesitated, taking her time to find the right words. Pete was about to step in, but Liz found her courage in the nick of time. "I was in an accident a few years back. It left my face deranged."

Old man Joe's heart broke upon hearing the news. He couldn't even imagine what Pete must be feeling. Nonetheless, Old man Joe needed to make one thing crystal clear with the young lady. "There is no need to conceal yourself here. Come on, take it off," Old man Joe kindly ordered. 

Liz didn't react immediately. She stood frozen, shocked that someone was asking her to reveal her disfigured face without any mal-intent. A slight, reassuring nudge from her father thawed her. Liz tentatively reached for her mask, holding her breath as she waited for the Old man Joe's repulsion, but it never came.

Pete's long-time neighbour simply stared at Liz as if he was looking at any other girl. "You better keep an eye out, Pete. Boys will be flocking your door to get a chance to court her," Old man Joe warned teasingly.