12. I Heart New York

Words 1352

The owner of a cute, little gift shop in JFK international airport kept a close eye on one of his customers: a teenage girl wearing a lilac face mask, mumbling repetitive rhymes under her breathe. Little did he know, he had no reason to be wary of her, because stealing cheap 'I heart NY' merchandise was the last thing on this teenager's mind. 

"One batch, two batch, penny and dime," LC muttered to herself in attempt to calm her nerves. She's been wandering around the pickup section of the airport for the past fifteen minutes, trying to pass the time before her father's arrival. His plane landed about ten minutes ago so he should be walking out of customs and baggage claim any minute now. 

"Everything alright?" David asked, walking up to LC. 

LC nodded her head, avoiding eye contact. "I'm cool," she quipped. 

"Doesn't look like it," David commented. He patted LC's shoulder awkwardly and gently steered her away from the gift shop. "You don't have to worry about Shanghai anymore. Mrs. Zhou and the kids are safe. The Triads won't be bothering them ever again."

"I know that," LC answered, recalling the Skype call she had previously in the day with her caretaker. She chuckled at the recollection. "Mrs. Zhou is a fan of my dad now." 

David snorted. "Is she now?"

LC grinned under her mask, but David could see the glee in her eyes. "She was practically swooning when she talked about him." 

"Yeah, you're Dad has that effect sometimes. Something about the bad boy vibes. Get's the ladies, you know?"

"Gross," LC cringed. 

By then, they reached the waiting area for arrivals. The double doors to customs were only a couple of feet from there. Other families and individuals were already waiting for their friends and loved ones. Travellers were beginning to walk out, but her Dad was not one of them.

LC took another deep breath. 

"What's wrong?" David asked. 

LC shook her head, her eyes focused on the double doors. "I don't know what's going to happen next," she confessed. Would she have to return to Shanghai? Could she stay in New York with her Dad? She preferred the latter, but she wasn't she what Dad wanted. 

But David did, and he had to keep his mouth shut for the time being because it wasn't his surprise to share. Instead, he patted LC's back awkwardly again. "It'll all turn out for the better," he reassured.

It didn't help. "One batch, two batch..." LC whispered. There was nothing David could say that would calm the sixteen-year-old down. The only thing she could see was the double doors; the only thing she could hear was her tinnitus. 

It wasn't until she saw Frank Castle emerge from the double doors that LC relaxed. Relief overwhelmed her, and she had lean on the nearest post to stabilize herself. 

All her worries disappeared when she saw her father. Even though she knew he saved Mrs. Zhou and put an end to the Shanghai Triad's, seeing him alive for herself reassured her of his safety. Her dad made it. He had returned.

LC couldn't stop herself from smiling, and even though she was wearing her face mask, Frank could see her smile from where he stood. 

He quickly walked over to where David and LC stood. None of them uttered a word. Instead, David stepped back to allow the father and daughter to embrace one another. LC wrapped her arms around her Dad, holding him tight and refusing to let go. Frank did the same.