8. Bargaining with the Punisher

Words: 2185

"So she's somehow connected with the Triads?" David asked. He sat at the dining table with a mug of freshly brewed coffee, taking occasional sips of the hot beverage. His dishevelled facial hair and lack of colour to his complexion suggested poor sleep. The same could be said for Sarah who sat at the end of the table with a grim expression as she read the daily paper. 

LC sat in the living across from the three adults, slumped on the couch low enough that she remained hidden from view. She watched their reflections from the tv, reading their lips and body language. 

Her father leaned against the wall across from David with his back to her so she couldn't see what he was saying. All she saw was him nodding his head a little, his shoulders stiff while he had his arms crossed over his chest. 

David sighed. "Well, the New York Triads are out of the equations. You made sure of that." He toasted his mug in Frank's direction out of mockery. 

LC's thoughts flashed back to all the dead bodies she saw as she ran through the Triad's compound yesterday. Her eyes automatically returned to her father's back, trying to envision him as a murderer. She couldn't, but the growing feeling of dread was proving to be more challenging to deal with that LC had initially anticipated. 

At a time of weakness, LC heard Detective Madani's greasy partner's words echo through her mind about her father. The detective spoke nothing but hate about Frank. She still couldn't sympathize with the detective. How could her dad be the Punisher? 

She wasn't foolish. A part of her knew he was a killer because he was a soldier — a marine. LC could see a distant memory of her father decked out in uniform, about to leave for another tour. She had to bite her lip to stop herself from gasping over her recollection. 

Meanwhile, Sarah dropped the newspaper, unable to look at its headline any longer. LC would have to take a look at the paper when she had the chance. She was curious about the content that she assumed must be related to the massacre in the Bronx last night. 

"So the Punisher and Micro are going international now?" David asked. 

LC wished her father was facing the tv so she could get an accurate read of him. She couldn't tell what he was saying, but judging by David's annoyed expression, Frank didn't agree with him. 

"I'm coming with you. We're a team, remember?" David reinforced.

"No, you're not," Sarah fired back, glaring at her husband. 

Frank was saying something to David. LC watched as her dad walked calmly to David whose anger was diminishing by the second at hearing Frank's words, whatever they were. By the end, David had calmed down and was nodding his head in agreement, which pleased Sarah. "I'll still help you from here. Man, the time difference is gonna suck." 

LC must have been the only one to pick up the last part because Frank and Sarah showed no reaction to David's remark. LC was the only one smirking, sympathizing with David. The time difference did indeed suck; LC slept for the past twelve hours straight and still felt fatigued.  

Frank nodded his head, bringing a smile to David's face; it was one of sheer joy. His reaction put a smile on her face, regardless of the underlying context behind their words. She wasn't oblivious to their scheming. 

"When do we leave?" 

All three heads snapped to the direction of the living room, two of which were out of surprise. The third remained neutral, but his dark eyes held anger and refusal as he stared at LC from the reflection.