Chapter Eight

After breakfast we all chilled out in the living room watching TV for a good three hours. My uncle dropped off our school work and told us that we needed to be at school for at least soccer. I nodded and went back inside. I handed everyone their work and went upstairs to take a steaming hot shower.

   "Jess, where are you going? Don't leave me down here with them!" Mads has been cracking me up for just these past couple of days.  

   "I'm going to take a shower. You can come and join if you want." I kept walking and that's when Mads ran up behind me. 

   "I can't believe I'm going to take a shower with my best friend!!" I rolled my eyes at her excitement. Then that's when it hit me.

  "Did you just call me your best friend?" I wanted her to say she didn't mean to say it. That it was just out of habit. I can't have friends let a lone best friends. I won't allow it. 

  "Yes, Jess, I did. Believe it or not you're part of this group. You're gonna have to start getting use to me calling you my best friend." I sighed. I had so many mixed emotions. I didn't want to tell her that I couldn't have friends. That I couldn't have a best friend. Not after what happened.

  "Well get ready. Do you need to borrow some clothes?" I gave her a small smile.

  "Yes please." She was one character for the books. 

~~~~~~~~Skip~~~~~~~~

Mads, the guys, and I were out heading to Soccer when we got a text saying practice was canceled. Everyone was sad and was truly looking forward to soccer. I took it to my advantage and called coach.

"Hey coach it's Haen. May the guys and I borrow the field to work on some movements?" There was a pause and I heard him breath in and the let it out.

"Yes, Haen, y'all may borrow the field. I'll give you and the Jake and extra key for the field house. Meet you there in thirty minutes." 

"Thanks Coach." I hung up the phone walking back into my living room with my duffle bag. 

"Get up and grab your bags." I hollered at Mads and the guys. 

   "Where are we going? Practice got canceled we can't use the field." Mads stated. 

  "You'll see just meet me at the school in thirty minutes okay." 

"But, Jess we can't, practice got canceled." She sounded so whiny. 

  "Mads, shut up." Jake rolled his eyes. "We'll meet you there." They went back inside and gathered their things.

Getting off my motorcycle I arrived at the school parking lot.  Walking to the field I saw coach. 

"Haen, you're here early." 

"So are you coach." I nodded towards him. Stopping to stand 10 feet away from one another he handed me two keys. 

"Now the key opens up the locker rooms, storage shed, and the field house. Make sure you put everything back and make sure that everything is locked up before you leave. " He held the keys over my hand. Hesitant to hand them to me.

"Don't worry coach me and the guys will personally make sure everything is put up. We just wanted to practice, but then it got canceled. They look sad so I took action and called you." I gave him a sincere look.

"I appreciate it Haen. They're my best players. Especially Jake, I see a bright future for him. I believe he can make it."

"I believe they can all make it, if they truly wanted to." He smiled at me and handed over the keys. "Thank you coach."

"No, thank you for making this team work with one another." He nodded and walked away. 

   I looked down at the keys in my hand and all I could think about is what coach just said to me. 'Thank you for making the team work with one another.' It kept replaying over and over again. I heard a car engine come up behind me. Turning around there was Mads and the guys. I put on a smile for them. 

  "About time y'all got here!" I yelled as they made their way over. 

  "Well if Jake wouldn't have kept fixing his hair every three seconds we would have already been here." Collin rolled his eyes. "Dude you're just like your sister." 

"Hey! Take that back!" They both yelled at him at the same time.

 I looked over and Collin and Calvin. We shared a look and nodded. 

 "Jake here you go." I handed him one of the keys.

 "What's this key for?" He looked so confused.

"Its the key for the field house, locker rooms, and the storage shed. You're welcome now let's go." I said as I turned towards the field entrance. The guys looked at one another, but Mads just tagged along behind me. 

"So, Jess what's going on?" 

"I called coach and he made me and Jake a key so whenever we want we can come over and practice. Since me and Jake are team captains he mad us a copy."

"Jess you're truly amazing. Thank you." She hugged me and I dropped my bag on the ground. "Hug me back!"

I grabbed ahold of her waist and hugged her. In almost a year I've never seen someone proud or thankful for something I've done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's the end of chapter eight. I keep getting writers block so I apologize for the delays.