Chapter Four

I wake up the next morning with a splitting headache. I look to my right. Shane’s bed is empty, and made. It looks like he didn’t come home last night after…after the party? I can’t remember what happened between us last night, but I have a feeling it wasn’t good.

                I head downstairs to get some breakfast, and run into Hannah, one of my new best friends.

                “What happened last night?” She asks.

                “I was about to ask you the same question,” I say with a laugh. “I can’t remember how I got home.”

                Hannah furrows her brows. “What do you mean? Shane dragged you out of the party. I heard he punched some guy in the face outside before you left.”

                Suddenly it all came flooding back to me. Zach, the drink, me, on the table dancing. I close my eyes and groan. That would explain why Shane wasn’t around this morning.

                “Look, do you know where Shane is? He didn’t come home last night.” I hope Hannah’s got an idea of where he might be, so I can get to him and apologize for last night. After all, all he was trying to do was look out for his roommate.

                “He’s probably on the fields with James,” Hannah says. I thank her and head out the door. I should’ve known he was there. Him and James are always out on the soccer field, scrimmaging or just playing around.

                While on my way to the field, I try and prepare my apology speech. Nothing else can come to mind except “I’m a really shitty person for acting that way towards you, don’t hate me?” And that wasn’t very good.

                I approached the field where Shane and James were playing a game with a couple other guys. I didn’t want to interrupt, so I stood on the side and waited for someone to notice me. Nobody was looking at me, though. They were all watching as Shane dribbled the ball down the field, dodging guys left and right, all the while keeping the ball right in front of his feet. He spun to avoid an opponent, and sent the ball flying towards and into the net. Cheers erupted among his teammates, and they all exchanged high fives and “dude!”s. Shane was laughing, and when he turned his head he saw me standing there. His smile faltered, and he said something to his teammates and started walking towards me.

                I took a deep breath. I had never been good with apologies; I’d never really had anyone to apologize to. I wasn’t sure how to take back the things I said and how I acted, but I knew that I was going to try. Shane was way too important to lose, and I don’t know what I would do without him at this point.

                “Hey,” he said. He had grabbed a shirt and used it to wipe sweat off his face, then he draped it around his neck. I willed myself not to ogle at his body.

                “Hey,” I say back.

                He looks at me, the same look he had on the day we met, where I couldn’t seem to find words then either.

                “So, listen…” Good start, good start. “I wanted to…apologize. For the way I treated you last night.”

                He tilted his head back and eyed me, as if saying go on.

                I took another breath. “Look, you were right. You were entirely right, Shane. The girl you saw last night; that’s not who I am. I don’t know what happened, I guess it was just the rush of the alcohol and the guy or whatever, but that’s not me, and I’m glad you know that. I’m sorry for acting that way.”

                “You had some drinks, and it got to your head,” he said. “It happens. I didn’t expect you to know what would’ve happened. I just hate that your first experience had to go down like that, and I hate that that guy just didn’t give a shit about what happened to you.” He wasn’t looking at me, he looked somewhere off to the left.

                “I know, I know. I guess I just got excited because a guy showed interest in me, and I was interested in him-”

                “You’re interested in him?” His brow furrows.

                “Um, I don’t know yet,” I say, my voice getting higher and higher. “Whatever, that’s not the point. The point is, I’m sorry for the way I acted, and really sorry for the things I said. Apparently three weeks is enough time to get to know a person. And I’m really glad you know me and still choose to stick around.”

                He grins and pulls me in for a sweaty hug. “Of course I’m gonna stick around. That’s what roomies are for!”

                I laugh and he lets me go. “So we’re okay?”

                He leans in close. “We’re better than okay.”

                I smile.

                “Heads up!” someone from the field yells.

                Next thing I know, a ball is soaring towards the general direction of my face, but Shane pushes me away before it can get to me. He retrieves the ball and throws it back to his teammate. I stand there and grin cheekily at him. He glances at me.

                “What?”

                “I thought you weren’t gonna look out for me anymore,” I say, teasing him.

                He makes a face. “I lied. Come on, let’s get some food, I’m starving.”