Chapter Seven

The pub was loud and crowded, and I almost regret coming. But we met up with all of our friends and I was happy to be there. We were all seated at the bar, though none of us were drinking obviously, since we’re freshmen. But some had ordered food and were just chatting while watching the game. I had situated myself in between Shane and Hannah, and wasn’t really watching the game to be honest. I had more important things to talk about, with Hannah.

                “Where’d you meet him again?” Hannah asks.

                “He needed help getting to the bookstore, and I was on my way there.” I had never gushed to a girlfriend about a guy before, so I wasn’t exactly sure if this was weird. Hannah didn’t seem to think so.

                “But, doesn’t he go here? Why doesn’t he know where the bookstore is…?”

                “He said he spends most of the time in his room, probably studying,” I laugh, because even to me it sounds funny.  

                Hannah eyes me. “Oh, honey. He was lying to you.”

                I stare at her, wide eyed. “What? What do you mean?”

                Hannah laughs. “He used that as an excuse to come talk to you! It was a pickup line!”

                “Not a very good one; I didn’t even notice it!” I say.

                Hannah laughs, like I’m just an inexperienced child. Which; I guess, I kind of am right now.

                I glance beyond Hannah and towards the pub entrance, and suddenly catch sight of Oliver. I remember telling him I had to work on my paper tonight, so I feel a little bit guilty for him seeing me out.

                He sees me and breaks out in a grin, and heads towards us.

                “Oh my god, Hannah, he’s here. He’s coming over here!” Is this considered gushing?

                Hannah squeals and claps her hands together.

                Oliver finally reaches our spot at the bar. “Hey nerd, what happened to your English paper?” He’s smiling.

                “I was convinced to forget it and come out tonight,” I say.

                “And are you glad you did?” He asks.

                I smile at him. “Yeah. Yeah, I am.”

                The football game must be going well, because a cheer erupts through the pub. Shane is among the cheers. He turns to me and sees Oliver standing there.

                “Who’s this?” He asks, still eyeing Oliver.

                I speak up. “Uh, Shane, this is Oliver!”

                Shane looks at me and raises an eyebrow. “Oliver?” He says.

                I meet his eye and nod. Shane turns back to Oliver.

                “Nice to meet you, man,” Oliver says. Shane eyes him and gives a curt nod. He glances back at me before turning back to the game.

                “You wanna get a table?” Oliver asks. He seems uneasy about Shane, and frankly I’m a little weirded out that he acted standoffish. I nod and follow Oliver to the back of the pub, where we find a table for two and sit down.