02

KILLING Werner Bohrganz was the last thing she wanted to do

A terrible sigh escaped from Tuva's lips as she snapped her notebook closed. Sprawled across the chair, her memories lingered back to the poet's work, and left her grinning.

Her eyes droned on, enthralled by the book again, as the rain gently pelted against the window. Before the gratitude of boredom washed over her, a slight clamor of footsteps entered the chamber.

Is the emperor back again? She furrowed her brows, annoyed by the small distraction. A chill settled in the back of her mind, remembering he had already set off this morning. Though she looked up however.

The door swung open, and Joasia came in.

Her calm demeanor settled in kindly to Tuva's heart, betraying a smile in the end. She then presented the vial on the small silver plate, waiting.

"Have you ever been kissed by a poltergeist?" Tuva asked without preamble.

A tethering silence.

Tuva heard a sigh coming from Joasia. "My arms will collapse soon, so please."

"All right, set them on the table."

"There's something troubling me."

"Tell me about this plague corrupting your mind so I can punish them accordingly."

"It's you," Joasia said.

"How wonderful," Tuva murmured, trying to play out a laugh. She leaned back to rest her head against the lounge. "I'm reading Feliks, there's no harm in reading a dead poet's craft."

Joasia shook her head furiously. "It's not that, I'm afraid," her eyes bent at the book, sighing some more. "Feliks is more...let's say they're known for their darker works. The talks of poltergeists, aren't they the same kind as the trench devils? Their hearts were hollow but their minds, and well, they live for vengeance."

Tuva clasped the book in her hand, her expression was light as she said, "Why wouldn't I read his works? After all, I am blessed to receive this version from the Imperial Prince."

"It's a terrible gift, a curse that is. And if it was the prince's gift, then he's a fool." Joasia spat, her mouth tightened as if she wasn't sure if she wanted to laugh or frown. The moment wavered, and her expression became dull, reserved almost. She cleared her throat as she tried again. "He should give you jewels or more dresses, instead of reading about terrible magic."

Tuva smiled, raising a brow. "Am I not befitting? A demon learning about curses?"

It wasn't a surprise to her, noting how they adored hunger more than the dead. It became the catalyst for the Zeimar, finding their purpose in tearing down the devil's kingdom, her homeland and the war became their answer for it.

Hearing Joasia's quiet laughter, Tuva rose from the lounge, placing her book next to the vial. She allowed her handmaiden to untie the strings of Tuva's nightgown.