Chapter 13

It had been three weeks since Dylan's accident and we had both just started up our practice routines for supercross. I hadn't raced supercross in my life, I was supposed to last year but we had the accident. I was nervous to see how I would do for not actually racing in a while but as the race drew nearer my nerves became excitement and I was pumped.

"Well well if it ain't the boy I mean girl that took motocross by storm and than disappeared." Some tall guy walked up to our semi, I hadn't seen him around before and a knot formed in my stomach. He had Kawasaki logo printed of the front of his jersey, and his number was 156, but I couldn't make out a name to ask roger how he was.

"Well when you have a concussion they don't seem to let you ride even if you want to." I tried to be nice, but I was already annoyed.

"You should just back out of this whole thing, you know you won't win." The guy was being a total jerk.

"Well the only way to figure any of this out, see who wins this race than." I smiled as I walked away.

"Hey you better make our family look good after being out all moto season." Kyle smirked as he walked up to me. He had been released from the hospital after being in there for many months of pain and misery.

"Just to say that I shouldn't even think about winning, because he is taking first." I knew I couldn't lie to him so.

"You better not believe that." Kyle was always out be my protector ever since dad died.

"Hey Cole we need you over here." Ryan called from the pit. 

After another 30 minutes of sitting and waiting we got the call to go to the starting gate. As I lined up along with the others, something I had never really felt before set in, panic. Yea I had it before but not on the start gate, this was something all new, and Kyle could feel it. He looked at me and I could tell that he was calming himself down so that hopefully it would calm me down as well.

"And the thirty second board is up and it is time to go racing." The loudspeaker interrupted any of my thoughts.

The gate dropped and everything came back to me, including the sense of calm I once always had. I got to the corner behind two other riders, but I knew I could do it. After 4 laps I knew I had to make my move on first, I had snagged second only two laps in. But I knew this wasn't going to be as easy as I thought it was going to be. So I pushed forward trying to only focus on beating the guy in first. The checkered flag was waving when he crossed the finish line seconds before I did.

"Well well, look who didn't win this time." The same idiot came up to me just after the heat. 

"It was only a heat race so as long as I make it to the main I am golden, than you better watch out." I smiled and turned around and went back to the semi.

"Hey Cole, how are you doing?" A familiar voice filled my head, I turned to be greeted by a hug. Dylan had been released from the hospital?

"What are you doing here I thought you were supposed to be in the hospital?" I looked at him I was filled with a mix of joy and concern.

"Well they let me go for the day so that I could come see you race, this is the only race I will only get to see you race for a long time. 

I just gave him another hug. 

I won the main event and was totally stoked to rub in the guys face. But before I could even get to the podium I was whisked away into a truck by Ryan.

"What is going on?" I asked.

"It's your brother, he is back in the hospital and it doesn't look good." Ryan's face told me that I wasn't going to like what was going on.