Chapter Seven

".... Yeah, I understand, you are welcome aboard...." Osas said over the phone, his rich voice, and diction! His posture depicting his status. He sat in his huge executive office, a 30'×25' luminous space on the penthouse of a 20 story high-rise building.

His leather swivel seat squeaked as he changed his sitting posture, he'd leaned forward to his desk, studying the chart on his screen, then his gaze shifted as he caught a glimpse of his formidable secretary from a distance, seeming like a distraction as he completely took his eyes off his 43 inches desktop. He glared at her while listening to his call. Fiona would always be an awe-inspiring sight to reckon with. A gift from his mother. A corporate asset.

She had been in the same position for almost 4hours, steadily focused on her desktop. She suddenly stood, stretching, looking like an adorable black Barbie doing a ballet dance. Her office was directly opposite his, and in as much as he could see her, she couldn't see him.

Udohcorp had very transparent office space, except the chief executive's. His late father was obsessively very concerned about pleasing himself, no matter the conditions. Rules didn't very much apply to him. Well, in summary, Ossai Udoh tinted his transparent wall after Clara Udoh caught him with one of his habits, an incident that went bloody and left a body for him buries.

When Osas resumed the office of the Chief Executive, and a little bit of improvement was made but rather than take off the tint, he added blinds to the demountable windows due to his phobia for height.

The interior was a luxury furnishing. Amongst the opulence was a massive executive desk, a huge shelf housing a collection of very important folders, books, antiques, and plaque awards. His large L-shaped white cushion was another notable attribute giving how much comfort it had provided Osas.

The sparkling white concrete wall hung portraits and arts such as martin Luther king, the president of Nigeria, then his late father's OSSAI OSSAI UDOH, he still bore the title of CEO. It was saddening he had no one to discuss him with. His mother hated him and Fiona barely knew Ossai.

And as for his uncles. It was a no-go area, he hadn't really done his findings on why Clara didn't trust her brothers, however, his father didn't trust them either.

'Hyenas! Hungry crafty hyenas!' Clara often howled each time Osas thought about entrusting deals to his uncles.

There was no doubt, she could be right about them giving how corrupt the system was, but Clara was wholly impractical when she insinuated everyone was their enemy, including family members who weren't serving as her puppet. Well, she educated him every now and then about the need for him to expand the Udoh family fast. If only it ended with the education. Well, that had been his responsibility from the start, literally the essence of his existence.

Well, he knew his mother and whether he liked it or not, a time would come when he would have to give in to her demands - hopefully, he wouldn't marry a 16year old. Psst! Osas still wondered about the logic behind arranged marriages. His mother was in misery her entire married life. The misery which now defined her.

No point dwelling in such thought, this seemed like a problem for another day. Until the pressure became unbearable, for now, he seemed to be taking a break from anything that wasn't work-related. He'd tried love, with Siobhan was constant heartbreaks, forgiveness, and eternal misery. With Angela, he doubted, if it was supposed to happen in the first place. In fact, she never happened!

He glanced up and saw Fiona right outside his office, staring and admiring herself before the tinted demountable wall. Osas wondered why she always did that, the reflection was a blur and as far as he could tell, he was a better mirror giving he saw her very clear from his office.