The E-bay wars

Characters: Peter Parker, Ned, Captain America, Tony Stark, Phil Coulson

***

Two years ago
"Come on, Ned, hurry up!" Peter dashed through the big hall, avoiding people left and right and almost tackling a large Wookiee who angrily shook his hairy fist at the young boy.

Ned did his best to follow his best friend, frantically trying to keep his orange ninja-mask in place while running. The big shell on his back bounced up and down, hitting his legs with every step he took. "I should have chosen Splinter," he wheezed, immediately shaking his head at himself. Master Splinter's whiskers would fall off his face in no time. Maybe if he had implants, like that cat-guy he saw on YouTube the other day...

"Ned!" Peter hopped up and down impatiently, waiting for his friend to catch up. "Use your ninjaskills, man!"

"Easy for you to say," Ned panted, having reached Peter. He clapped the round red-white-and-blue shield that was hanging on his friend's back. "Your suit is a lot easier to run in!"

"You're the one who wanted to be a Ninja Turtle," Peter threw back. "Come on, it's right over there." He pointed to a booth with a large banner above it with the familiar stars and stripes and sprinted towards it.

The slender boy worked his way forward to the edge of the table, his eyes scanning the merchandise on display. "Got it, got it..." he muttered under his breath, as most of the products displayed were already gracing the shelves in his room at home. Then he spotted the item he wanted; of course it was right on the other side of the table. Peter tried to worm his way past the people who were browsing the booth. "Excuse me, sorry, coming through."

"Watch it!" a splendidly dressed Legolas complained as Peter tried to push past him.

"Sorry, sir!" Peter immediately excused himself. "Love your costume!"

When Peter finally reached the side of the booth where the wanted item was displayed, he had to wait and watch how a middle-aged man with a Captain America T-shirt took the boxed bobblehead figure from the table and handed it to the merchant.
"This one, please," the man said, pulling a leather wallet with Cap's shield on it from his back pocket. He looked like an accountant, or a history teacher, something boring anyway.

Peter's own money was burning in his pocket while the man painstakingly slowly counted the 36 dollars out in the merchant's hand. "Come on, Captain Slow," he muttered softly.

"Something wrong, young man?" the older man asked, looking at Peter with a raised eyebrow. A teacher, this man was definitely a teacher.

"No, sir," Peter said sweetly, plastering a fake smile to his face.

"Enjoy your purchase," the merchant said and handed the man a plastic bag containing the boxed bobblehead. Then he turned to Peter. "Can I help you?"

"Yes, I'd like the Captain America 1945 limited edition bobblehead, please," Peter said hurriedly. He didn't see one on the table, but surely there would be more?

"Sorry, kid," the merchant said. "That was my last one." He gestured to the middle-aged man who walked away with his plastic bag.

Peter's jaw dropped. "You're kidding!"

The merchant shook his head. "Nope. Too bad, kid. Better luck next time."

Five months ago
Ned looked up from his comicbook to see why Peter was cheering in front of his computerscreen. "Yeah! Eat that, you asshat! Ismellfreedom01 strikes again! 60 dollars over asking price!"