New Things

I turn my head to see where the slave traders are behind me, there were more than I was expecting. The middle section was so lively and colorful even some food that I don't even know the name of, some have sweet smells, and others and a spicier smell. I have got to stop being distracted I can't think about that, I'm busy running away from the slave traders who want to capture me. I decide to run into a crowd of people, I was suddenly grabbed, a hand covering my mouth before I could realize what was happening. The person brought me to a back alley I am scared had I been taken, by slave traders. The alley had a few other kids who were sitting down on the ground against the wall.

"That was close, oh sorry about all that."

He uncovered my mouth and let me go, I moved away from this kid who looked to be about my age but I wasn't quite sure. He seemed to be quite well dressed without all the extra gold and silver, which I'm quite tired of seeing.

"I'm on your side, these kids are like you. I'm going to help them get to the outer section where it will be safe."

He seemed like a nice person but I still felt I didn't want to trust him just yet.

"Oh yeah, my name is Jessie. Um if you don't mind can I see your tag?"

"No, I don't trust someone I've just met, and who scared me half to death."

"Ah you have a point well then can you tell me your name?"

"No thanks, I would rather not, sorry."

He says he is on my side and is going to take me to the outer section, just in case I should make an escape route but it seems like being here is far better than being out in the open. They don't seem like slave traders for now I am going to stay here.

"Well alright then how about this, I will get you new clothes, that way you fit in better. Those clothes are like shouting to the slave traders "hey, I'm over here come and get me."  Type of thing."

I nod, It did make sense the clothes I'm wearing are luxurious but are torn and worn out. In the end, I then decide to sit against the wall I hadn't noticed before but I was really tired I looked around at the other kids that were sitting not much was going on some of them fell asleep during the conversation. I looked down at my dress and thought about everything I had been through it was very different than was normal in the inner circle, I was lost in my thoughts before I knew it I fell asleep.

"Hey, we have to get going get up. Wake up, it's kinda a good thing you went to sleep when you did."

I stand up and Jessie hands me clothes that look like a potato sack, don't mean that in a mean way it looks like a bag that you put potatoes in with three wholes cut into it. I'm speechless, should I laugh or feel offended. Should I really put this on? Well, I don't want to be mean so I take it.

"You can go over there to change."

He points to a corner that has a curtain to section it off to look vaguely like a changing room, I walk to it and close the curtain. I take my tag out of my corset thankfully it hadn't slid much and got changed. It really was a potato sack it had "Potatoes" written on it, I grab my tag and my old dress then went out, to be honest, it was worse than the dress definitely felt like I was wearing a potato sack I felt the wind on my legs it was quite cold. I didn't even have a place to put my tag so I was stuck holding it.

"Wow, I couldn't really see it before but those clothes work really well with your purple hair and gold eyes, not to mention you have a tail and ears, but it's probably best to hide those till you get to the outer section."

I wanted him to stop talking, and what do you mean it goes well with my purple hair and gold eyes I'm wearing a potato sack. I had a tail and ears I never knew I had such features? I was very confused did I get them from my mom that is the only place I could have gotten them from.

"Are you okay, or are you perhaps feeling sick?"

I felt my face I think my nervousness had turned me pale and started to make me feel sick, I need to change the subject so that I wouldn't get sick.

"No I'm fine I've just been through a lot  so what's happening next?"

"Jessie, where are you?"

"Over here, with the person that won't tell me their name."

I turn my head to the right and see a girl.

"Hello, sister why did you need me?"

He nervously laughs, she glares at him then turns to examine me for a few seconds then quickly looks back at him.

"Those aren't even clothes that a potato sack that says potatoes jeez, and there are a lot of clothes that look much better than that potato sack."

She walks over to me takes and drags me to a back door of what looks like a store, It was small but big enough to hold 10 people to comfortably look at all the clothes. It looked worn but well taken care of, and cherished the clothes looked well made and very colorful like I had seen on the street as I was being chased.

"I'm sorry about my idiot brother, he likes to get ahead of himself it happens when I'm busy with a customer. Let me help you with your clothes, Why don't you wear these, you can also keep them. I'm not sure if you noticed but we don't get too many girls, most of the slave traders get them before we can help them. Before I forget the changing room is over there tucked in the corner."

She pointed to the far back corner and held some well-made clothes, they don't look like what I'm used to. When I put them on they felt so light and comfortable, I was so happy with them. I was used to wearing those annoying dresses, I wasn't sure I was wearing clothes. I came out trying to keep my face straight as I had done in the past, it was embarrassing to show my real emotions.

"They are definitely an improvement, so I was lucky you guys found me..."

She looked away from me, then turn her head down to the ground.

"I make clothes, if you are ever in this section and need clothes I will help you, also my name is Beth, what's your name?"

"Astrara"

"Wow, that is a pretty name!"

She looks back at me and smiles she grabs a measuring tape and begins taking my size.

"I hope you don't mind, what I'm doing right now."

"No, I don't mind it's just a little embarrassing."

"Did your servants not take your measurements."

"Once in a while, not very often."

"Oh, so you really weren't taken care of, I was going to ask a question but I don't want to pry."

"I don't really want to remember what happened there anyways."

"I can see that. Can you hand me your clothes so I can adjust them so you can wear them when you get to the outer wall? I will be really quick just wait here for a bit and I will have a new set of clothes for you also there is a chair over there if you want to sit down."

She left the room as soon as she saw me sit down in the chair, which is in the middle of the store. A good six minutes later she came out, I rested my eyes so I couldn't see her but heard footsteps coming closer.

"Here are your clothes I altered them a bit to be more suited for easier movement, I should have asked this when I grabbed your close but I want the potato sack so I can make a bag for you to hold your clothes."

She came back almost as fast as she left the room, the thought that I had just been lucky not to be caught was scary.