intro ;

things exist beyond this city that you could never even dream of

____

the small townhouse was pink with white picket fences on either side, protecting the small alleys that existed between houses to store garbage cans, shelves of mason jars filled with herbs, or the occasional strawberry plant poking its leaves up into the air, searching for sunlight, from unwanted guests. large, curtained windows placed where anyone could see through them, and vines dotted with pastel flowers curling up the siding, the paint starting to peel at places. the slanted roof was a light brown and perfect for sitting on nights when the stars decided to come out and smile upon the small, mountain town. but for now, only sunlight fell upon this certain townhouse, bathing it in yellow light. the light would have given it a warm, welcome feeling if only yugyeom's spirits weren't so down.

he wanted to go home.

except, now this; this pink, peeling house with flowered vines that shouldn't look so beautiful, and windows too large, and neighbors that spoke with you more than a simple "goodmorning" while retrieving the morning paper, and a distinct mountain smell that filled your lungs with sense of adventure; this was yugyeom's home now.

he didn't like it one bit.

a breeze swept through the valley, brushing yugyeom's hair over his forehead and into his eyes. just another reason to groan and pout as he helped his mother bring the boxes filled with their belonging into the house. he shook his head to try and get the dark strands of hair out of his eyes as he continued up the porch and through the white painted door.

the townhouse consisted of a wide open living room and kitchen that took up the entire lower level, a stark difference to the apartment yugyeom had spent his childhood in. the upper level had four rooms—two bedrooms, one for him and one for his mom, and two bathrooms. then, there was the attic on the highest level, dusty and full of old furniture that had been abandoned by previous owners. yugyeom hadn't been up there and he didn't plan on ever going. dark, high spaces like attics had never been his forte.

he climbed the creaky stairs up to his room, where he set the box down and sat down on his bed. it was still only a bare mattress sitting on a wooden bed frame, his sheets packed away safely in some other box, along with everything else he owned.

he ran his fingers over the wood, wincing when his finger caught on a splinter. he scowled, pulling the sliver out of his finger. it seemed as though everything was against him in this new place.

a soft knock on his open door startled him, and he glanced over with wide eyes. it was only his mom, a warm smile on her pink, heart shaped lips. yugyeom had gotten his lips from his mom.

"hey bud", she said, stepping inside. she set another box down on the floor, then straightened up, placing her delicate hands on her waist as she gazed around the room. then, her eyes landed on yugyeom, a bit of worry gnawing at the edges of her gaze. "how do you like the house?"

"it's fine", yugyeom mumbled. his mom, of all people, knew that this place was not fine to yugyeom. when she'd first proposed the idea of moving out of the city, yugyeom had been nothing but against it. he loved the big city, with its towering buildings and busy streets and the familiarity of every corner turn. but he had seen the homesickness in his mother's eyes. she wanted to go back home to the mountain valley town she had grown up in so bad.

if there was one thing yugyeom couldn't stand more than not being in the city, it was seeing his mother sad.

"are you sure?", she asked, a frown starting to carve lines into her forehead and cheeks. yugyeom hates those lines, because they meant she was tired, or stressed, or sad, and yugyeom didn't want his mom to feeling any of those emotions.

"yeah, i'm sure", yugyeom assured her, plastering a smile on his face. "it's fine, really."

"okay", she replied, a bit warily. she gave him a quick hug, and even though it lasted only a couple seconds, it filled yugyeom with warmth and comfort. everything in that place may have been new and strange, but there would always be his mom to rely on.

she pulled back, giving another smile with cheeks and forehead clear of lines, and patted him on the shoulder. "i'll let you unpack."

yugyeom nodded and watched her leave the room, his smile dropping as soon as she was gone.

____

it was one of those nights yugyeom's mom had told him about, where the stars and moon come out and shine so bright that the milky light melts through your curtains and into your room, beckoning you out into the night.

yugyeom sat on his window ledge, his legs dangling precariously over the edge. he had to admit, the mountain air wasn't that bad. in the city, you couldn't spend more than a couple minutes outside without choking on the horrible pollution. yugyeom still missed it, though.

he gazed out in the direction of the mountains, his eyes following the green slopes as his head rested on the side of his window. a noise sounded out below him, and his attention was drawn to two birds pecking at each other for a crumb, but not for long. an even louder sound; the sound of whole trees being ripped from the ground and dirt packing together tightly as pressure was applied suddenly and birds screeching as they took flight from a sudden danger; came from the direction of the mountains. yugyeom whipped his head in that direction, his shaggy, black mop of hair falling in his eyes again, causing him to stop for a second to move it away. he finally moved the strands out of his eyes, and nearly fell off the window sill when he saw what had made the sound.

a giant peered at him over the hills, it's glowing eyes locked on his own, before disappearing into the night.

____

a/n; hey!

so i'm making another fic :)) i'm rlly excited for this one. idk if any of you have seen the show hilda (it's on netflix and it's rlly good but a warning it's a kids show) but this fic is loosely based on that.

i'm rlly excited and i hope u guys like this!!

thoughts?

song: lemon boy (acappella version) by cavetown