An Adventure Awaits

I packed my bags and got ready to leave. Finally it was summer, and after summer i would be in college,so this was the summer for me to try out new things,be prepared for a new start.

When my parents suggested going to New York for the summer,I wasn't excited,nor convinced. I didn't want to spend yet another boring summer in that big city,stuck with my parents. I like being in Missouri,it's fun,relaxing,and far away from all the city noise. Who wouldn't prefer country music over hip hop? I wasn't obligated to go,so I decided not to.Not until I found out my parents weren't going, and I was going to go alone! I mean,all I've ever wanted for summer was to have some alone time. So I immediately said yes. The fact that I had to stay with Mrs Parker wasn't a bonus,but her cute niece Peter was. I mean,when I was younger and used to live in Pennsylvania, we kept visiting their family in New York,and Peter was nice and cute,which led to me having a huge crush on him...but we are talking about 9 or 10 year old me.I'm 18 now,plus I never told him about my little crush that used to be on him. Missouri is just so far away from New York,we don't see each other as much.

I haven't seen him for quite a few years,and I was pretty excited to see him. All I kept thinking about was whether he was still cute.He's about my age,a little younger,I think.About 16,17, but he gave off this weirdly attractive vibe,and I was pretty attracted to him. I don't think those old feelings would come back though.It was a long time ago,and we were young (and dumb)!

I grabbed my bags and threw them into the trunk, and slumped into the back seat. I checked the important stuff— my passport,wallet,and of course,my phone. They were all there,and other stuff didn't really matter. I turned on Netflix on my iPad and plugged my earbuds in,started playing one of those romantic comedies and put my neck pillow on,waiting for my dad to get in the car and drive me to the airport.

Finally,after what felt like forever, my dad got on the car, started driving, blasted music,and mumbled something. I couldn't hear what it was, between the blasting music,the sound of cars driving,and the dialogues of the characters in the movie. I didn't think it was important anyway,until he took out a credit card and laid it on the cup holder.

I took off my earbuds and stared at him. "Dad,what's this?" I asked. He turned the volume of the music down and said quietly, "Well,my darling girl is spending two months in New York without us,a whole plane ride away.I'm worried you wouldn't have enough spending money.So,this is for you,but emergencies only." He stopped at a red light and turned around to look at me,though all he did was smile and wink. I grinned and whimpered a little,then I hugged him right before the lights changed. "Thanks dad,you're the best", I said,and as he turned away to keep driving I plugged my earbuds back in.I put the credit card safely in my wallet and kept watching the movie.

It was a long drive,about an hour or so. When I got off the car my dad insisted to bring me into the airport and to the counter,so I let him. It wasn't until I got my boarding pass and went into departures did he finally leave. He hugged me and kissed my forehead,patted my shoulder before I left and said "I love you,see you soon." I was a little emotional,but my dad was at the verge of tears,despite how much he was trying to hide it.

I had to wait for a while before I could board the plane.I went and got a cup of coffee and a sandwich and a Starbucks nearby. I haven't have breakfast yet, so I needed a little something to fill my stomach. I had a feeling this was going to be the best summer ever, and while I boarded the plane, I had butterflies in my stomach, as, well, call me cliché, but 'an adventure awaits'.