Chapter Five

Asthané shifted in his saddle as he and his party rode into the space between the Temple proper and the stables. They were the only ones present. He glanced around, and Wodé gave him a jaundiced expression. The musicians both looked weary—and no wonder, with Géta's wounds and the fact Téus had been helping him with his magic every evening on the way back. His musician looked at him, face wan in the torchlight; they both knew what would happen now.

"Who goes!"

They all looked up in the direction the voice had come from. A Custodian who stood on the roof had observed them. Asthané called their identities up, then dismounted, which induced the others to do so as well. After getting the stable door opened, they led their mounts inside as two guards came into the clearing.

"Where have you been?" One of the Custodians on duty demanded.

Asthané opened his mouth to reply, too short-tempered to let the query pass without a bit of reprimand, even though the Custodian who'd spoken wouldn't have been able to do anything to help Géta, but Wodé beat him to it, and in a politer tone of voice, which was just as well.

"We did our duty, which is more than I can say for Jinée."

"You shouldn't say that," the Custodian who'd spoken before said.

Wodé took his mount into its stall as the party sorted themselves on the way to the opposite end of the stables. Asthané's mount's stall was two down on the opposite side, and he strained his ears to hear how Géta's Custodian would respond.

"I'm only telling the truth, Kathési. If she'd been doing her duty, the Temple would be in much better shape."

Silence for a moment, then, in an offended tone, "It functions perfectly well."

Wodé's voice in reply was too low for Asthané to hear, but it elicited a strong response.

"Jinée is the Rector! We're supposed to obey her!" Bootsteps described Kathési's departure.

Because he expected Kathési to roust Jinée, Asthané was quick with taking care of his mount. Even with that, though, Géta arrived to hover nearby before he finished. He didn't have the heart to ask the boy if proper care had been given the horse. Géta looked too tired, too afraid, and too desperate for something good to happen next for him to want to put further stress on his musician. Asthané finished up and beckoned the boy, stepping back into the central corridor. One by one, the remainder of their party joined them. Then, they stood there for a couple minutes as though absorbing the fact they hadn't been accosted yet.

The other Custodian who'd come at the watch's call stood by the entrance. He waved them out, so they departed, crossing the grounds while the Custodian closed up the stable. Asthané opened the nearest Temple door, gestured everyone in, then followed with Géta close by. This was bordering on clingy for Géta's usual independent nature, but Asthané didn't say or do anything to discourage it. He wouldn't have wanted to let himself out of sight if he'd been through what Géta had been and was facing the fact they'd be separated for a good number of weeks. Much as he wanted to reassure his musician all would be right once more—someday—Asthané was well aware it wouldn't work.

He and the others tromped to the main stairs as a group, then stopped at the foot of the stairway. Géta propped himself against Asthané, who rested his empty hand on the boy's shoulder in an effort to offer comfort.

"Why haven't they come to arrest us yet?" Téus asked.

Asthané saw the question reflected in the Custodians' faces. Géta dropped his packs, and his arms embraced Asthané tightly. Asthané accessed his Gift of empathy to sense the terror coming from his musician. It took him some effort not to fall into the feeling himself, and he spoke from it, forcing the words through his throat.