Chapter Twenty-Eight

Esqué's plan went awry beginning in the wee hours of the day he'd arranged to perform the modified Final Strike spell. He did not rouse Asthané and Géta when battle broke out that morning. The only reason why Géta knew there'd been battle since before dawn—when Esqué finally woke him and his Mage—was because the Proxy had roused Téus and his Healers so the lyre-player could channel for those called to defend the post.

He didn't fall fully asleep after his lover departed, so opened his eyes when a sharp knock came on the door. "Come in!"

Géta shifted his arms to lay on top of the covers as the door opened to admit the Proxy. Esqué stepped in and shut the door, then remained there.

"Please dress quickly, Géta, and rouse your Mage. It is time for the team to assemble. I apologize, but there is no time for you to fetch breakfast. Be warned, it will be somewhat less than what I originally planned, for I have had to send some of the team to defend the walls. The Inskiti forces raised ladders and some succeeded in surmounting the Wall."

The Proxy didn't wait for a response, but promptly stepped out. As soon as the door shut, Géta threw back the covers and sat up, putting his feet on the floor. He took a moment to stretch, twisting side-to-side a little, then rose and stretched again before going to the wardrobe and dressing. Since he needed putting on his armor, and suspected his Mage did as well, he went to Asthané's room.

He didn't knock, uncertain whether Wodé was within asleep as well, and tiptoed in with care. The Custodian was absent, so Géta shut the door normally and crossed to his Mage, who slept on undisturbed. It was a bit of a relief to see Asthané wore a shirt to sleep in, and Géta shook his Mage's shoulder.

"Asthané, we have to go to the roof. Esqué's assembling the team."

His Mage sat up, blinking, and rubbed his eyes. "Already?"

"There's been battle since about two or three this morning, and he's apparently feeling it would be wisest to end it as soon as possible. It seems the Inskiti have chosen this particular day to all die to the last man."

Despite his great groan, the Mage turned in bed to stand up. Blankets dragged with Asthané as he headed for the wardrobe where his clothing was, and Géta grabbed the covers to throw back on the bed.

"Are you ready for this, Géta?"

He froze in the act of giving the covers on his Mage's bed better order. This would be the first time he'd be performing his duty since he attempted suicide, so he understood why Asthané asked. While finishing making the bed, Géta considered this question, forcing himself to ignore Esqué's estimation of his ability in assigning him this channeling duty. His Mage hadn't asked for the Proxy's opinion, though Esqué had dragged Géta through the deepest recesses of his reasoning behind attempting to kill himself over their past two weeks of daily three-hour sessions. While Géta hadn't had any doubt that Esqué had "rushed" him through therapy for this, he was also equally aware that the reason behind those three-hour sessions they'd had daily since their reconciliation was to prepare him for this specific duty. Though the Proxy hadn't said it, Géta had realized Esqué had had a hand in the Healers' opinions on Géta's overall health in order to keep Géta available for the intensive marathon therapy sessions.

Neither he nor his Mage spoke for the next few minutes. When Géta joined his Mage to help don his armor, Asthané broke the silence.

"Well?"

"I feel ready. I've been sleeping much better. Not completely without nightmares, but I'm no longer afraid to sleep, and, most of the time, when I do sleep, I sleep deeply and well, unless a prophetic dream comes, and those have been happening mostly when I'm dropping into sleep or waking  up. I've told you."