One

Ruby's POV
3 Years ago

I am a mess. I don't want anyone to see me like this, not Vida, not Zu and especially not Liam. I'm not the same Ruby I used to be. I'm not the weak, invisible Ruby Daly that went into Thurmond when I was ten. I left her behind when I escaped. To survive in this new world we have to adapt, become stronger. I learned this the hard way but I have changed. Even after my 'recovery' going smoothly, I still struggle with things. Walking is hard. Talking is hard. Life is hard, even with everyone here to support me, I don't want them looking at me with all my new cuts and bruises. Not now. Not ever. Liam knocks on my door and I attempt to yell Come in! but it comes out as a mere whisper, but he gets what I'm trying to say and comes in. "How ya feeling darlin'?" He asks me with his beautiful blue eyes staring right into my soul, "I'm.. okay." I managed to get out and look away out the window before he could see anything was wrong. I tried to ignore the fact that his  eyes were still fixed on the back of my head. "Ruby..?" I heard him say but I was fixated on the view, not him. Minutes passed before he got up and said; Well, when your ready to tell me what's wrong I'm all ears. He planted a soft kiss on my forehead and walked out the door. I let out a sigh of relief as I heard it shut.

Even though I woke up a few days ago and everybody is being patient with me, considering what I have been through I can tell they are starting to get annoyed with me because I was missing for two whole weeks before they found me and I still won't leave my room to talk to them and answer their many questions about why I left Haven and where I was before Leda found me. It's time to talk. I somehow manage to push the sheets off me and attempt to stand but wobble, and reach out for the handrail, I catch my breath and look out the thin window that connects my room to the hallway and I see Vida coming straight for the door, for a second I thought she might be coming in to tell me to lie back down but instead, she opens the door and grabs my arm and yanks me out of the room.

"You have been moping around your room for long enough." she says coldly and she continues to drag me down the hall toward the stairwell, her long  nails digging into my arm, I bite my lip to stop myself from screaming in agony before we reach the lobby where everyone is sitting, talking, until Vida steps into the room and everybody goes quiet and their gazes all shift to me. "I brought her." Vida says to everybody and finally releases her grip on my arm and goes to take her spot on the couch next to Chubs. I now have everybody's attention. Great. I struggle to stand and Liam gets up to help me but Cate holds him down. "Well, Ruby, nice of you to join us. We understand you have been through a lot but it is time to talk, we have all been so worried about you. You were missing for two weeks." She says to me, not once breaking her gaze. "I.. I.." I begin but Cate holds out her hand to me "Come, sit down Ruby." I don't know where to start.. I think to myself. Hesitantly I take Cate's hand and sit down next to her. "From the beginning" Liam adds with a look I have never seen before; Worry, Anger and pain, all in one. I take a deep breath, and begin.