Chapter Four- A Gift

I was dying of boredom in that damn hospital room. Nurse Wright was a doll, she was so sweet and kind. I always felt a smile appear on my face when she came up to check on me. I decided to make something special for when I got out of here. I took a piece of paper from my bedside table and began to fold it over and over. My plan was to make a little origami swan with her name on the wing. Lord, I was really proud of it. Sure the beak was a bit wonky, but I was sure she  wouldn't mind.

I got checked out a month later, but before I left I pulled Nurse Wright over.
"What's the matter, Mr Hudson?"
"See, I made this for you a while back for when I left. I wanted to give it to you."
"Aw, bless your heart. You're a sweet boy, Teddy."
"And, I was fixin' to ask you something."
"What'd that be?"
"Would you like to watch my brother race next week?"
"I'd love to. I'll meet you then."

I waved her off, walking home with a smile on my face. Rex had gotten out before me, since he was more of an emergency and they fixed him up fast. Everything will be the same again. I'll fix Missy, Rex will race again and it'll all go back to normal. All back to...normal?

I walked in that door, finding what looked like an undead corpse on my couch. After closer inspection, it was just my brother. But man was I spooked! He didn't look like himself. His tan skin and childish grin wiped away, leaving a pale man with a bitter frown. That hospital must have taken it's toll on Rex. Even his down-with-authority attitude seemed non-existent.  Almost like I didn't have a brother. I wanted to cry, but I didn't.
"Rex?" I stuttered as I stumbled over my words.
"Teddy, I'm giving up. I don't think I can race no more."
"What! You're joking, right? Missy's waiting on both of us, we have to show everyone how Rex Hudson is the King!"
"He isn't now. The King has retired. I just don't feel able to race for a while."
"But Rex, you have to! For both of us!"
"If you're so crazy about racin', you do it."
"W-What?"
"You heard me. If you really need someone to race that bad, do it yourself."

Something must be seriously wrong with him. If he heard himself say that, he'd be madder than a wet hen. I reckon they pumped him full of crazy meds that made his brain fry like an egg. That's the only way Rex would refuse to race. But I wasn't ready to give up Missy and racing just yet, and if that meant racing myself, then so be it! I wasn't going to sit back no more, I was going to be on the front lines.

I patted Rex on the head, leaving to get my jacket. He looked worn slap out. This wasn't the brother I knew. And somehow, I felt like I was taking on his role. The cool older brother who acts like he don't got a care in the world. And it made me feel a bit skittish.