Chapter Five- Mama and Missy

I just bought a gorgeous little racing car. The boys seem really excited about her. They decided to call the car Missy after Mississippi. Darling little kids, I love them with all my heart. I just wish I could be here more for them.

I stayed up all night, fixing up Missy. Lucky for me, everything seemed fine. Just the tires getting shot. I remember when we got Missy. I was quite young, I think. I can't remember a lot. I just remember feeling so overjoyed. Pa brung her home one day. Boy, I fell in love with her as soon as I saw her.

Little Teddy seems ecstatic about the car, he keeps jumping for joy. I loved how he pointed out every little part and explained all about it. Rex didn't seem too excited about the internal parts, more about how the car looked. I suppose he's not going to pursue cars when he's old like me.

Pa had just came home with her, no warning. He died real young. I remember falling in love with Missy as soon as I saw her. Boy, I was crazy...I think. To be fair, I don't remember a lot about it. I can hardly remember anything! But if I think really hard for a while, I can remember some bits.

Teddy spent all day with Missy. He's hypnotised by the silly old thing. He's a sweet kid. Definitely not the marrying type, I can tell even when he's this young. My little fella is going to live out his dream. Could be cars, could be something completely new I don't know yet. But he's going to live a full, good life. He's a good kid.

I turned on the radio again, taking a break. Grease was all over my face, and I looked like a mess. I was determined to fix Missy. For me, for Nurse Wright, for Pa and especially Rex. I'm gonna be on that race track a changed man. I'm not longer the day-dreaming 15 year old. I am Teddy Hudson! And boy howdy, am I great!

When I get old and tired, I put a lot of trust in him. Rex won't end up a family man. He'll be that kind of fella who has a new old lady every week. But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop loving him. He's still my son, but I can feel that he's going to have a tough adulthood.

I felt a rush of energy flow through my veins, as I got in Missy, started her up and started driving down to the river bed. Same place, same people, but ever so slightly changed. And boy howdy, I'm going to kill this race. I want to prove our family's worth. I want to prove my worth. I am going to show everyone that the king lives on in me. Even if Rex is broken down and can't go on, I'll stay on my journey over yonder to show everyone! I'll bring him with me, no reason to leave the fallen behind. I. Am. Ready!