Chapter 27 (Rewrite/Edited)

"Still can't wrap your head around it, can you?" Taryn asked Robert, suddenly pulling him from his thoughts. They were still sitting on the dirt floor after Taryn had given a lengthy talk about what she thinks she had kept to herself. He had no clue as to go about it.

"No..." he admitted.

"Then stop thinking about it for ten minutes and look at this." She held up the notebook. "This was left by June."

He looked at her with confusion. "Okay?"

She gave him an unamused look. "This was left by June, right before she disappeared. It's what I saw when I touched it." She looked through the pages. "Some of the notes in this are completely torn out. This was the original notebook that she used when she was alive."

"So, she anticipated in being caught, is what you mean. And she went and placed notes around the mansion as a warning?"

"I think she might have given one to Yoko since one was with my food, but I think it's more likely that June herself took those note scraps and left them after she died."

He frowned. "How?"

"Some spirits can move objects. Exert enough will and an object can be moved, you often see them in those shows about poltergeists, though a vast majority of them will and have been faked. However, those that aren't being done by those who convey messages, some become hard to tell what that message could be; in most cases, it wants someone to leave. With June, she simply left actual messages rather than moving objects."

"Seems kind of tedious if you ask me." He glanced at the notebook with slight unease. "So, what was her last entry?"

Taryn flipped to it.

I'm trapped.

Within this underground and maze of tunnels, I have no means of escape. If I could find the exit that Miyamori-san told me about, but with the blow to my head, I don't think that's even remotely possible. It's hard enough to write this out as I get even more lost in this damned maze of tunnels. I'd mark my way, but if I do, then I'd risk getting caught. But even now, I still can't get over what I've discovered.

I doubt this will ever be seen by the light of day.

But still, if someone does come across this and they are in the same predicament that I am, the best thing I can say is that I hope what I have proves to be of use to you in some way or another.

And I'm sorry.

I'm so, so, so sorry.

No one deserves this...

When Taryn finished translating to Robert, he merely sat in silence for a long while. "Shit, that doesn't help us at all. Any idea what it was that she discovered? Was it the room that we found? Or something else?"

"No, it's not written."

"Then, what now what? Keep looking through her notebook?"

She flipped back through a few pages only to stop when something caught her eye. A name to be more précises. The name Chiyoko.

During my search, I uncovered some information about the previous owners of the mansion. Or at least one with any record, since only one family owned the property for generations, the last that I could find was of a woman, Ketsutsuki Chiyoko. Her date of death was around 1871 from pneumonia that was rather sudden. In life, she had a son and daughter, becoming head of the family when her husband died in an accident several years previously.