Chapter 4: Through The Hole

My mind was thinking. My heart was beating. What should I do? There seemed to be no other way to get out of here except through the door. Oh man. I didn't expect my life to be over in a bathroom. Wait. Life didn't have to end that way. If there's a will, then there's a way. Great. Well, I hadn't any will left in me. Oh, c'mon. Think hard. There had to be some other way to get out of here. In less than a minute. Oh wait, I almost forgot the small window above the shower. But there was no way I could fit in that window. It would be too risky if I try to fit myself in there. I stared hopefully at my environment.  

My lips began to smile when I gazed up on the ceiling. There was a hole right there, big enough for me to get in. No more time to think. Time to act. At once, I tried to jump and reach the hole. Higher. Uhh. That wasn't working. The zombies were still trying to take down the door, fortunately, the door was pretty sturdy and hard. Think. I needed something to step on to. I looked around me. There was nothing in here light enough to carry. Seemed like there was no other choice. Adjusting my bag straps tightly, I went towards the bathtub. One day, when all of this was over, I would thank the maker of this room for making the bathtub unattached to the wall. Perfect.

Finding my inner strength and power, I went to the other side of the tub and pushed it hard. Harder. Keep pushing. I didn't expect the bathtub to be that heavy. I didn't know if it was my adrenaline or if I were really that strong but I managed to push the bathtub quite fast. Okay, now I needed to step onto the slippery bathtub.

Praying that I won't slip, I stepped onto the side of the bathtub, and amazingly, I didn't slip. Wow. I tried to reach the hole again and this time I successfully reached it.

I threw my metal-handled mop first into the hole then lifted myself to the hole. I needed more arm power. I couldn't carry myself. Was I that heavy? Eventually, I managed to slip my upper body into the hole. I was getting more and more pumped to get myself out when the door suddenly bursted open.

Oh my god.

Did this really had to happen right now? Cursing myself for not being fast enough, I swung my feet frantically in hopes of getting them into the hole before the zombies could reach them. Uhh.

Whoops. My elbows almost slid and I was again hanging lower than I was before. One of the zombies grabbed my leg. I kicked him hard and he was taken aback for a short time, enough to buy me some time. Using my last ounce of energy, I willed my elbows not to slip again, and brought my body up the hole. As the last of my being disappeared through the hole, I thanked God for saving me from what was supposedly my death.

I could still hear them growling. When I took a glance from the hole, I saw that they were still trying to reach the hole. Examining closely, I saw that they weren't paying any attention to the bathtub right in the middle of the room. Mmm. Pretty dumb zombies. Well, that was something to be thankful for, wasn't it? I mean what if those things could think almost like a live human? it would be more horrific than how things were now.

Being a very obedient dormer, I didn't usually stay late at night and sneak out or something. I guess that was a slight disadvantage for me. Right now, I could use a little help about finding my way out. I wasn't very good with tunnels and such, and this ventilation system wasn't an exception. One thing for sure, I needed to explore.

First things first. I knew that the only way to get out of this place was through the stairs. The stairs were located on the rightmost side of every floor, then the front door was located just after the stairs. My room was located six doors from the stairs so it might be easy to go through that. I took my gun out of my bag and aimed it in front of me. From now on, I needed to be careful with every step I take. One thing I know of, the zombies might only be trusting their senses in finding humans. If that was the case, I had to minimize making any sort of noise, so I had to go slowly through the system.

Halfway through, I saw through my right another hole. What was this hole for? And then I remembered it. Oh yeah, there was a trash vent in this dormitory. Very handy too. Well, going out through the main door was one thing, but going out through the trash vent was another. For one, going out through the main door would ensure that I smell nice but would also mean that I go through the open road. That would be kind of risky.

Going through the trash vent, meanwhile, would mean that I would smell trash and might attract some smell-sensitive zombies, but I could still use the path through the farm behind the dormitory. We've used the farm as a shortcut through the heart of Ladfair. From the two choices, I figured out that the trash vent path would be safer and easier.

Trusting my thoughts and decisions, I closed my eyes and slid down the trash vent. Right when I was about to slip through the dump, I pushed my hands on the walls to prevent me from sliding in.

"Woah. Easy does it." Counting to three, I jumped onto the other side of the vent and managed to stand on my feet, safe from the smelly dump.

"Okay, let's get this thing started." I told myself. The sun was still shining brightly. I would say that it was still about nine in the morning. The green farm was lushy and healthy. I needed to run fast if I want to make it alive before dark, but I also need to bear in mind that I needed to stay as quiet as possible.

"Was this the right choice?" I asked myself. Well, there was absolutely no time to turn around now. I just had to face it. Then, I let one question rise from my head. This question had been bugging me ever since I found out about the trash vent. Well, here goes nothing.

Can zombies cross a farm?